Cannot Install from the dvd :(

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by amitabhbansal, Oct 23, 2013.

1. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

i have downloaded the mavericks from app store and created the dvd by disk utility of the image file OSX Install ESD. but when i boot the macbook or imac and keep pressing the OPTION key it doesnt show me the dvd to install the mavericks.
    please help

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

3. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

why cant we create the dvd like before we did in SL, Mountain Lion? and is the dvd useless now which i have created?

4. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

That seems to be the case. Apple's been making a significant move away from the optical disc-based software model for a while now, figuring most people these days would prefer to use a constantly-reusable USB stick than trying to keep track of another disc. I have my recovery partition on a 16 GB Kingston USB stick on my keychain, I can still use the bulk of the USB stick as per usual since it's partitioned.

5. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

Yes you can. If you do it this way:

After downloading the Install OS X Mavericks.app file from the Mac App Store, run these 12 commands in Terminal to create a Mavericks.iso file and then burn it to a dual layer DVD with Disk Utility. You may then boot up from it by holding the option key down and then install mavericks. This will not install a recovery partition. To do that, uncompress and run the script file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13872235/Musings/Recovery%20Partition%20Creator%203.7.zip

hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/Mavericks

hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

hdiutil attach /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

hdiutil convert /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/Mavericks

rm /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

mv /tmp/Mavericks.cdr ~/Desktop/Mavericks.iso