Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerryDon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Dublin California
I successfully beta tested High Sierra for several weeks, then High Sierra went bonkers starting with the next to last Beta version prior to release. It bricked my system (had to go back to 10.12 and had to reconstruct from scratch). The released 10.13 has yet to be successfully installed on my iMac (late 2012). I first tried the released version on my internal Fusion Drive (gave up on that, when it tanked similar to the failed beta release that I mentioned above - had to rebuild again). Next, I built (2) external Seagate HD's with 10.12 (given the advertised issues from Apple, concerning Fusion Drives) and just tried both of them as opposed to the Internal Fusion Drive (They both fail repeatedly). I reloaded the 10.13 update from scratch and experienced the same failure. I've been an Apple Fan/User since the 80's - This is the biggest disappointment (I removed the expletives) I've ever seen from Apple - It's ridiculous! I guess I'm destined to not being able to update hence forth. Very Sad.

Last edited:

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Was your drive ever converted to APFS during the early beta?

FWIW, I defused my Fusion iMac and have High Sierra install on the small 120GB SSD drive. I have all my Documents, Movies, Music and Pictures folders on the HHD drive. I replaced the default icons for my User's Documents, Movies, Music and Pictures folders with the folders on the HHD drive in the sidebar. They will be plain folders. I keep very little on my Desktop and keep an alias to a Desktop folder on the HHD so I can keep data moved off the SSD drive.

I currently have 73GB available on the 120GB SSD drive.

JerryDon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Dublin California
Yes, I inadvertently checked the APFS option on the very first beta install - I reinstalled the beta, but never saw the option again. All the beta's installed and ran fine until the one prior to the Golden beta. Once it crashed my system, I reluctantly erased and formatted the Fusion Drive and reinstalled Sierra until the High Sierra + 2 was released, whereupon it still wouldn't install (1st on an external HD, then on another external HD). I'll never install on the internal until there is an acknowledgment from Apple that it now works on a Fusion Drive.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Call apple care even if like mine it's ran out or never had it, they were extremely helpful in helping me upgrade from Mavericks. I have late 2012 iMac 1TB no fusion drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.