cannot install leopard due to bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motley13, Jul 30, 2008.

1. motley13 macrumors newbie

okay, so last night i decided to try and install windows, well it went wrong, formatted the entire hard drive and formatted it as ntfs. now i want to re-install os x but it can't find the location to write to as it can only read ntfs. basically the computer has been rendered useless. when i go into disk utility via the install cd, i can not erase the drive. i am currently on my mac book. so i can access the drive via firewire. but still going through disk utility via the macbook is the same.

could someone please help me just format the disk to hfs+ or tell me how to get it back to a format i can install mac on.
    I read something about a linux disc i could make and boot from that and format the drive from there, but i know nothing else about it.

thank you.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You could try the ubuntu install disk! Download it at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

From here, run the live cd (use the safe graphics mode {select the option and press F4} for caution)!

Once loaded in, go to partion editor...(gparted) and format in hfs!

3. motley13 thread starter macrumors newbie

so this boots all by itself? because i currently have no OS. also the computer that has this problem is an intel imac, do i select the 64 bit AMD and intel computers option when downloading?

thank you! so far this has helped more than anything.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Why can you not see the disc in disc utilities from your install disc - it will show up whether it is formatted as NTFS or FAT32 or whatever.....

If you can see the disc in disc utilities then partition with one GUID partition.

5. motley13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can see it fine. ntfs is read only on mac, thus i can NOT edit partitions or erase or anything, everything is greyed out. if you look around the web you'll find people with a similar problem but have fixed it in other ways. the apple store said to an online post i saw "mac cannot write to ntfs so the only thing we can do is run a diagnostic for $75 which won't do any good anyway, or buy a new drive"
    surely i can change the drive format. i only got this computer in may so i don't want to be forking more out.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You should be able to use Disc Utility to remove the ntfs partition from the drive and then install a GUID partition - you may have to unplug the drive a few times but it does work.

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You should be able to just reformat the entire drive using the OS X boot cd.

Just make sure to select the drive itself and not the partition (disk under the drive in the drive selection panel).

8. motley13 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for all your help!

I've fixed it, i unmounted the disk and clicked a few things then when i remounted it i could erase the disk. so right now leopard is re-installing.

i lost a few things such as music and photos but atleast my mac is fine :)

thanks again!

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Glad to hear you got it sorted out - I don't know why unmounting/mounting/unplugging/plugging in should make any difference but it seems to help.

Still don't know how you managed to format the whole disc as ntfs because when installing Windows thro BootCamp you are given a choice of partitions and how you want to format them - I have never seen the whole disc as an option......