Cannot install Leopard on G4 tower

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NSoyka1055, May 19, 2008.

1. NSoyka1055 macrumors newbie

I have a G4 tower (purchased around the same time Panther came out). I still have Panther as my operating system, and have tried to put Leopard on. When I restart my machine with the Leopard CD, it does nothing but sit and make noises. Do I need to have Tiger installed before installing Leopard? I've tried switchin to the CD at the start up, I've tried holding down the C key.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Is it the retail Leopard DVD from the store?
    Does your Power Mac start up from it's original install discs?

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1 Mobile/5A274d Safari/5525.7)

Does your G4 have a DVD drive or is it just a CD?

4. NSoyka1055 thread starter macrumors newbie

G4 Tower

Yes it will start up from the original disks, no problem. Yes it has a DVD/CD write/read player.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Check the specs on your PowerMac. Leopard's base requirements are a Mac G4 with 867Mhz PowerPC processor. Anything lower than that and it won't install.

6. NSoyka1055 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it is a Mac G4 with 867 Mhz.

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Go into System Profiler and check your cpu. Then you will know for sure.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The disc would still boot, it would just say it's not supported.
    Is this a retail copy?

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

In the past, did you do any third party cpu upgrades. What does your System Profiler say?

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Not if he has a flakey optical drive. I had the same issue on my PB G4 Alum 1.67MHZ when trying to load Leopard. Same symptoms for over an hour each time and tried multiple times, yet my optical drive booted from the original Panther cds, Tiger DVD and has no problem reading commercial movie DVDS. It just wont boot Leopard from the "retail Leopard DVD".

I finally installed Leopard by target mode from another Mac.

11. NSoyka1055 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is "target mode"?

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It means he connected two Macs with a Firewire cable. Restarted one of the Mac computers and held down the "T" key while it booted up.

13. NSoyka1055 thread starter macrumors newbie

My CD is a store bought Leopard CD which I purchased from MAC. My tower is store bought as well straight from the store with no aftermarket parts. I stand totaly corrected. I have a 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5 tower. I was doing this forum from work today and didn't have the computer in front of me. My computer has never had anything added to it.

14. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Then I would try the install as I mentioned in target mode. You will need another mac to do this.

You boot the problem mac in target mode by holding down the "T" key. You then connect a firewire cable from that mac to another one and boot that one normally. Insert the Leopard disc on the good mac.

You should see on the good mac that the bad mac's hard drive is mounted. Now proceed with the installer and select the bad mac's disk.