Cannot Install Mac OS 9.2 on iBook G3 500mhz White

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kinjomusashi, Jan 25, 2009.

1. kinjomusashi macrumors newbie

I've thoroughly researched this subject for the past few days now and tried many things, but no success.

Long story short, I need to update the firmware of my ibook since it is not recognizing the 512mb ram stick I am using to upgrade my ibook. I originally had OSX Jaguar on my machine, but I can only update the firmware under OS 9.1 or later (according to apple support) booted in its own partition. Long story short again, every time I try to boot from the OS 9.2 cd, all I get is the ibook looking for the OS and the CD just constantly spins endlessly...I am still, however, able to boot from the OSX Jaguar cd.

I did read somewhere that I may have to install Mac OS 9 drivers first...however, I have no clue how to do that...

Anybody have any solutions for my dilemma? I'm totally running out of solutions at this point.

Thanks!
    KM

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

If Mac OS drivers are indeed the problem…

When you formatted the hard drive to install Mac OS X, you needed to check the "Install Mac OS 9 Drivers" checkbox in disk utility.

Have you tried the disk on another Mac? Hold option on startup, does the disk display there?

Try zapping the PRAM:
    Command - Option - P - R
    On startup until the computer restarts.

3. kinjomusashi thread starter macrumors newbie

*EDIT...Sorry, I made a mistake in my first post...I meant to say OS X Jaguar and not Tiger...I went ahead and made the change*

Thanks for the reply...Yes, now that I think back I am very sure "Install Mac OS 9 Drivers" was checked when I installed Jaguar.

I don't have another mac I can try the disk on, but the disk does show up when inserted under Jaguar.

I also tried zapping the PRAM as you suggested, but still no go...

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

What sort of disk is it? I once tried to install OS9 only realising that it was an upgrade disk, not a true install disk. (obviously won't boot)..

Being able to see the disk and being able to boot from it are two different things.

Is it appearing in the list on an option startup?