"Cannot install mac os x on this computer" message pops up when trying to install...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Flipgoblin, May 16, 2009.

1. Flipgoblin macrumors newbie

I purchased a Macbook pro with a damaged screen for very cheap from the IT guy at my work. When I got the computer all of his information was all over it. I don't have much prior experience with a Mac, I've used a PC my whole life, but I'm interested in video production and editing and I love the Final Cut Pro interface so I've wanted a Mac for a long time. I have the Macbook hooked up to an external monitor and external keyboard and mightymouse.

I decided to get rid of all of his junk so I put the OS X disk in the drive that he gave me and it came to a screen asking me to select a langauge, I selected english and then the message came up "cannot install mac os x on this computer". It then gave me the option to click "ok" or "restart"... I clicked OK and it took me to the OS X disk utilities. I used the drive utility to (atleast I think) wipe the drive, because I figured that was the reason. I wiped the drive using the "Mac os external journaled" setting and about an hour later it finished. I rebooted the computer and the same thing happen, selected langauge and got the same "cannot be installed" message.

I read somewhere tha it could be the after market RAM in the computer. I opened it up and it does look like different RAM has replaced the original 2gigs that were in there bringing it up to four. I don't know if theres a way around this, or even what brand the original RAM would have been. The brand name on the RAM in it now starts with an "A", but I'm an idiot and can't remember the full name.

At this point I'm just stuck and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Please pardon my "noob" status with MAC's - I'm not one of those PC users that hates Mac users, I'm "pro choice" when it comes to computing.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It could also be that he gave you the wrong discs ... the gray restore discs are model specific, e.g. a MacBook Pro's discs will not work in a MacBook, and a White MB's discs will not work in an unibody MB.

3. Flipgoblin thread starter macrumors newbie

You may be onto something

You could be right, I didn't even think of that. I know that when his screen broke and since he loves throwing money around he bought a new Macbook Pro a week later. He could have given me the disks from his new one.

Thanks.

Does anyone know of any way I can tell whether the disks I have are for the computer I have?

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It should say on them.

I would just see if anyone has a full retail copy of Mac OS X you can use, or download a copy from your favourite bittorrent site. Of course make sure you don't get a newer version then the one that came with the Mac because that would be stealing. ;)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's still stealing. Please don't suggest stealing on the forums.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Call AppleCare with the computer's serial number and they'll send you replacement discs for $16-$20 per, so $32-$40 for both gray install discs.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Not to change the topic of the thread but is it stealing?

You own a computer, thus the license for the software all you are doing is downloading a copy instead of receiving a disk.

Downloading software which you haven't got any right to is stealing.

Or am I missing something????:confused:

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's still an unauthorized copy of OSx. Besides, the torrent versions often have trojans and other nasty stuff packaged with them. Be honest and get it from Apple.

9. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

An IT guy gave you a computer without removing his data and the wrong OS disk? Ummmm, a little strange? Can't you ask him for the originals?

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Putting aside the "stealing or not" argument.... what is not debatable is that only malware for Macs are being attached to programs that are downloaded from torrent sites. So, to the OP - be safe and get official disks.

11. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

No..I agree it is not stealing. If it was me i would download the torrent and try to install it, just to make sure that the DVD is the problem and then if it works you can remove it and ask the seller to give you the original DVD

12. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

He never said he was a 'good' IT guy ;)