Cannot Install Mavericks on new HD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Yuetgooo, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Yuetgooo macrumors newbie

Installed new compatible 1TB WD HD on late 2009 iMac. I noticed that even w/ HD out, there were 2 items always present; disk2, OS X Install ESD and disk3, OS X Base System. They were even there when no HD was in iMac.
    I can only boot w/ flash drive that has mavericks and utilities on it. Cannot boot into Safe Mode, Single user mode works as does accessing recovery tools. I can access disk utility.
    HD erased and formatted, verified, repair finds no problems, permissions options are greyed out.
    When OS X Installer is up, it says Install OS X w/ the green to blue X in a circle. It begins, 24 minutes remaining....gets to 23 minutes remaining and yellow triangle w/ exclamation point appears; Install Failed, the OS X upgrade couldn't be started because the disk is damaged and can't be repaired; erase your disk and try installing again (I have nothing to back up since I originally erased and reformatted the new HD).
    I restart and the process repeats. I've been working on this for a week and appreciate assistance, thanks.

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You did not mention it so I'll ask, did you create a 'Partition' using the OS X extended journaled file system and Guid partition map when you reformatted?

3. Yuetgooo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did and I have tried again and am still getting the same results.

----------

I then did a disk repair and I get the error: Unused node is not erased and volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks; Disk Utility can't repair this disk...back up and reformat disk.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I would try repairing and reformatting through OS X itself. Sometimes I have issues using Disk Utility within the recovery.

5. Yuetgooo thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hard drive enclosure, and then hooking it up like you would an external.

Did you wipe the other hard drive yet?

7. Yuetgooo thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ah, right...

Try reformatting through Terminal (it's in the Recovery too), and see what it tells you.

9. Yuetgooo thread starter macrumors newbie

I loaded Mavericks on the HD externally......success! Now when I try to migrate all my files and settings from an external backup, that drive isn't recognized. It is present in disk utility as my 500 GB Lacie but the sub Macintosh HD will not mount.

When I try to repair, in red:
    invalid key length
    the volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely

verify disk permissions and repair disk permissions are greyed out.

Is there a way to bring all my settings and software from the Lacie to the newly installed Mavericks?

----------

When I use migration assistant, it cannot fined the attached external Lacie drive

10. Yuetgooo thread starter macrumors newbie

after putting HD in iMac, it now wants to install Mavericks and then shuts down!

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Sounds like you purchased a bad hard drive and you should return it for another at the store you purchased it from.