Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
The last "official" driver package delivered by NV, 387.10.10.10.40.140, even refuses to open with pacifist. So it's not even possible to have a look inside. But the Os-version-independent one, pulled by NV of there servers, 387.10.10.15.15.108, can be opened.

So i'm planning to proceed as follows:

- temporaryly install a compatible GPU
- check whats installed by the NV-installer and where by looking into the package
- manually uninstall everything that was installed
- unsigning everything inside the 387.10.10.15.15.108 installer as described in the youtube video
- trying if installing with the installer works
- if not, manually installing all the parts to where they belong (hope this is not neccessary, as there are many!)
- if all this works so far, repeating the process with the compatible CUDA package 10.2.89

After this, i hope this stupid completely unneccessary mess will be fixed.

harrymac20

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
Blender will not open now (Blender quit unexpectedly) and I use evereyday.Support of 10.13.6 by Apple finished in 2020. I hope someone comes up with a solution or I'm moving to Linux.

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Blender will not open now (Blender quit unexpectedly) and I use evereyday.Support of 10.13.6 by Apple finished in 2020. I hope someone comes up with a solution or I'm moving to Linux.
Anything using GPU-accelleration wil not open or at least not run until this is solved.

The Buggman

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
Strangest thing just happened. I've been trying and failing to boot into safe mode so I could follow (i.e. fake my way through) the patch instructions earlier in this thread. I disabled global checks again first and then after two failed safe boot attempts, I restarted and booted normally. The CUDA preferences pane was the first thing to pop up on my screen. I'm also able to access the NVIDIA Driver Manager. However, none of the GUI problems have been solved and I still can't run any of the installers. Here's what I see:

Attachments

• CUDE Pref.png
    CUDE Pref.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 142
  • NVDM Pref.png
    NVDM Pref.png
    279.6 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: pxlpshr22

CobMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
Hello all, same problem today. I was thinking my Nvidia was broken but now I can se thats a software driver problem (mac pro 5.1 + GeForce GTX 970). Well, I tried:
1) upgrading to Mojave. Still not working as in High Sierra
2) installing new, clear High Sierra back. After installation there still was visible problems with graphic card BUT Nvidia Driver Manager in Preferences opened! On the page Update there was newest driver (387.10.10.10.40.140) and instead of "up to date" there was something like "Not compatible" (don't remember exactly)
3) After installing Security update 2020-005 Nvidia Driver Manager again not working.
4) I again reinstalled High Sierra, did not install 2020-005 update but now Nvidia Driver Manager does not open..
Don't know what to try now..

PLEASE WHEN SOMEBODY WILL FIND A WAY HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE WRITE HERE CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS FOR BFUs. Your help will be much appriciated, I am totally dependent to my High Sierra Mac (disabled from today) as my only working machine.

Last edited:

aschamberlain

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
Strangest thing just happened. I've been trying and failing to boot into safe mode so I could follow (i.e. fake my way through) the patch instructions earlier in this thread. I disabled global checks again first and then after two failed safe boot attempts, I restarted and booted normally. The CUDA preferences pane was the first thing to pop up on my screen. I'm also able to access the NVIDIA Driver Manager. However, none of the GUI problems have been solved and I still can't run any of the installers. Here's what I see:
I've booted into safe mode and can see the CUDA and GPU driver versions. My graphics card displays correctly as Nvidia 980Ti in the About this Mac window. However, I can't open the Nvidia Driver Manager (it tells me to re-install) and the web drivers package refuses to open with the same error message as in the original post. I can't boot normally at all - it sticks at a black screen.

Currently downloading Ubuntu, will be waving a fond farewell to Mac OS if there's no solution to this by the time the download finishes.

CobMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
Has anyone tried this?
I turned off automatical time setting, disconected from internet, set the time a year ago, restarted and ... no change, problems still there, Nvidia Driver Manager cannot be opened.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I think its more to kick Nvidia out or there web drivers at least. does the GTX 680 still work natively I wonder.

Reactions: Yurk

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
If the issue is related to certificate expiry, then disabling all external communication and resetting to an old date should always work.

The MacOS date update is very fast so I suggest trying it this way.
  1. Disconnect all internet connections ... don't forget WiFi or anything else that might kick in automatically
  2. Reboot into Recovery and run date -u 060200002021 && reboot
This should at least allow reinstallation

CobMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
NVIDIA Customer Care: I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please contact the Mac support team for assistance regarding the NVIDIA control panel not opening issue , they will be able to assist you and help you trouble shoot the issue

The driver support for the Mac Os is provided by the manufacturer itself.

The Buggman

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
This should at least allow reinstallation
This did, in fact, work for me and I've been able to successfully reinstall the drivers. Everything is currently running as it should, at least until I reconnect to the internet and restart the computer.

Note that I was only able to reinstall the drivers while in safe mode (which I was personally only able to successfully access AFTER booting into recovery and running the date line in the terminal).

I believe that I also have had checks disabled throughout the whole process, by way of this reply:
To disable checks globally run in Terminal:
sudo spctl --master-disable

Reactions: Yurk

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
This did, in fact, work for me and I've been able to successfully reinstall the drivers. Everything is currently running as it should, at least until I reconnect to the internet and restart the computer.
(Partially) great news! Did you even get GPU-Benchmarks or real 3D apps to run?

So we only have to find out where these certificates are identified (Apple?, NV?) and block this location with i. e. little snitch. Must be some otherwise trusted location. Else LS would ask for permission.

ndruha

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
I have the same issue from today on High Sierra and GTX 970. Good that I had my old Mac Nvidia GT120 still in the storage. It works good with the apple driver, so I have put it in temporary until there is a solution to this issue.

evantalfano

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
Made an account just to chime in here.

Restarted my system last night and all of a sudden had poor gpu performance. High Sierra 10.13.6 w/ GTX970. Drivers won't install, and can't open up the Driver Manager, just like all of you!

This is extremely inconvenient as I use my mac for work.
Has anyone reached out to Apple regarding this situation yet?

They seriously can't have just bricked all of our machines, right??

Reactions: Yurk and pxlpshr22

evantalfano

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
As I understand it's only Nvidia that can release the updated version of the driver so we need to write to them. Apple will not do anything about it.
Someone above reached out to Nvidia, and they told them to contact the Mac OS team. Sounds like nobody knows what's going on!

drifeppelin

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
Reporting similar problems. I have a GTX 1080 and i5 9400F hackintosh on High Sierra. In my case I can't even boot up because my CPU has no integrated graphics as backup. With verbose on, it keeps saying "AppleKeyStore : operation failed" over and over, among other things.

Hope someone is able to find a work around!

The Buggman

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
(Partially) great news! Did you even get GPU-Benchmarks or real 3D apps to run?
Yes, everything is running exactly as it did before the purge. Fully operational. I have already gone back online with the machine, knowing it'll likely break it all again when I restart, but I'm semi-confident the steps will be repeatable on the next time I need everything to run properly.

Reactions: tonidrbn

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Apple and Nvidia both suck on this issue.

I have a number of video cards that I spent good money on that are now doorstops because of Apple screwing over the end user so they can cut Nvidia out of the game.

Reactions: Yurk and tonidrbn

tonidrbn

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
Yes, everything is running exactly as it did before the purge. Fully operational. I have already gone back online with the machine, knowing it'll likely break it all again when I restart, but I'm semi-confident the steps will be repeatable on the next time I need everything to run properly.
Can you please do a step by step tutorial?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.