Cannot Install Os X On Power Mac G4 Sawtooth

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cgrillz, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cgrillz macrumors newbie

Just Recently Received A Power Mac G4 "sawtooth" Agp Graphics...400mhz....320mb Ram And Has Os 9.2 On It.i Want To Upgrade It But Im Having The Hardest Time Just Installing Os X(first Version),,,it Came With The Grey Disk And When I Install It, I Get All The Way Past The Introduction,destination,......at Last install Section It Tells Me Theres In Error Installing For Some Reason.it Doesnt Give Me A Reason Bt Just Says There Is Error Installing.ive Tried It Over And Over And It Gets All The Way To The Last Step And Wont Install.

Should I PURCHASE And Install Another Disk?is There A Way Around This?....if Anyone Can Help It Would Be Great

or do i just have a bad mac i should get rid of

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

1. Please verify your configuration.
    How much Memory
    How large is your disk drive and how much free space do you have?

2. Have you applied the firmware update for your model? (4.2.8)
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120068
    If not, you need to do this first.

3. cgrillz thread starter macrumors newbie

again specs are g4 mac sawtooth(agp)..400mhz,320mb ram,10gb hd.....I haven't updated firmware,hopefully dats da problem.also,I have the macmini g4 and it came with os x tiger(black disk)retail.I haven't tried it on sawtooth,I only tried the grey disk they gave me with it.

I heard I shood go online and buy retail version bt forgot ialready had it.should I give it a go aftr firmware update?

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Based on your configuration, I don't recommend installing OSX. If you manage to install it, it will run incredibly slowly (lack of memory). Also, your disk drive is very small and may not have enough free space to install OSX.

You cannot use the disk that came with the Mini as these are platform dependent.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually PowerMac G4s run 10.3 well and 10.4 at ok speed.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes, but look at the amount of memory he has...320MB, and his disk is only 10GB and he already has 9.2 loaded. If he wants to run OSX, I think he needs to increase both to get any real performance. The processor is OK at 400MHZ.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I have a G3 iMac 400mhz with a 10 gig HD running 10.3.9, no problems.

Sure, it's not as fast as my G4 PowerBook, but it works.

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

How much memory do you have installed?

9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Not enough..

384mb I think.

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

He has less than that. And has 9.2 installed. I don't know how much free space he has either. He may have added applications and may have a bunch of stuff in his home directory.

OSX does take a few GBs of storage. Let's see how he does after the firmware upgrade. This may be the key to why the installation is failing (or he may not have enough free space on his disk, or problems with the file system as it is now).

At this point it is hard to know why his installation is failing.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. drkstar macrumors member

drkstar

I have OS X Server 10.5.4 running on my G4 PowerMac with 768 MB of RAM and a 40 GB Harddrive.

There is a check in the installer package that looks for a certain minimum CPU Mhz and RAM levels...

Look at this for some more info/help: http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/unsupported.html

13. cgrillz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help.I tried the firmware bt my g4 already had it on there.im taking it to mac consultants here in atlanta to deal with it for me.I tried everythng I could so now im turning it over to pro's.they gave me a fair quote to update it and max it out with upgrades.thanks everyone.

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

you sure you have ALL the most up to date firmwares upgrades?

I had the same configuration

10 gig, 400 mhz, 320 ram -- and ran Jaguar no problem