cannot install osx 10.6.3 on my 2.16 imac core duo 2

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mustangy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. mustangy macrumors newbie

mustangy

Hi there

I just got a second hand 2.16 imac IC duo 2 that came running on 10.6.8 with some applications and stupidly deciced to erase the disk and start from scratch... Bad move
    It's been a while since I updated or installed the OS (I already own a 2.00 IC duo 2 but is not near me now neither its software. So I am a little bit clumsy and not up to date with the last versions.
    Basically I first erased the disk and then tried installing from a 10.6.3 install DVD but it only allows me to restore from Back Up and offers me to connect to time machine or other disk, while a message appears saying ' Mac osX cannot be installed on this computer'
    I've tried some tricks I read in other forums like fiddling with the partition but no success...
    Am I trying to install the wrong version ?
    I though I would be ok to install from scratch any version of Leopard or SL.

Any help to ease my frustration will be most appreciated.

Regards

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

"osx cannot be installed on this computer" almost always means the grey disk is a non-retail disk and not the correct disk for the computer. The non-retail disks will only install on the computer type they are shipped with. an iMac restore disk will not work on an MBP. You need a retail disk.

3. Redgonzo84 macrumors newbie

After some problems I also erased the disk thinking I could start from
    Scratch over .

Now after inserting my original retail disk and going through the select language
    , license agreement , the next option is select destination .
    But there's no destination for me to select .

When I go to disk utility -

5.1 DVD UJ 851
    Mac OS X install DVD
    298.1 gb WDC WD3200............. (serial ATA 2 )

I can not apply first aid or repair , verify disk , disk permissions etc are greyed out .

I think I've messed something up I can not change ??

4. mustangy thread starter macrumors newbie

mustangy

I have tried several versions and install discs but the only grey disc I have -which is the only one it recognizes- is SL 10.6.3 formated for imac from a aluminum imac, but like I said only allows a restore from a back up disk. (that puzzles me)
    Previously the imac was running on 10.6.8 after being upgraded from Panther, so guess may just allow the original PAnther install like you said.
    Too bad my other imac is 1000 miles away...

I am waiting for the original install to be sent to me... fingers crossed.

Thanks anyway.