Cannot install OSX after hard drive swap in MbP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tomaz, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

I bought a Samsung 250GB hard drive from MCE Technologies and had it installed by an authorized "Mac Repair Center". When I then tried to install Tiger from the OSX install discs that came with my MacBook Pro, I got the error when trying to select the hard drive: "Cannot install OSX on this volume. OSX cannot be booted from this volume."
    I then booted the computer using my old hard drive connected via USB2 and used SuperDuper to copy all its content to the new internal hard drive and made it bootable. Now the computer is able to boot using the new hard drive. It seems rater slow though (not just booting but also working afterwards) and I cannot install Bootcamp. It gives me an error that I should reformat this hard drive and reinstall Osx, which is exactly what I can't do. Does anyone have an idea why my original MacBook Pro OSX Install Disc doesn't work anymore (I assume altered computer configuration...) and how I could do a fresh install of OSX onto the new hard drive anyway ?
    Thanks a lot for your help!!

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

You need to format the disk.

Edit: Sorry I didn't quite understand your problem.
    When you boot up on the install disk, when the installer comes up there should be a menu item on the menu bar that says Utilities. Click that, and go to Disk Utility. You can now format the disk from there, and when that's done you should have no trouble installing Mac OS X.

3. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

so select Disk Utility from the Mac OS X installer.
    Initialize Disk, select Mac OS X Journaled