cannot install software on hdd. iMac i7 with ssd and hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oilofbarley, Nov 14, 2010.

1. oilofbarley macrumors newbie

I have had this iMac i7 for over a month and I cannot figure out, nor could the Apple store help me, how to install software/transfer software onto the HDD and NOT the SSD. The SSD is GREAT, but there are certain things like iWorks and several other programs that i do not NEED the extra speed and reliability if it means I can fit more powerful software onto the SSD (final cut, dragon stop motion, corral painter...) there are also programs like iMovie and iPhoto I do not need on the ssd because I have aperture and final cut.
    Now here is the problem: when i try to install some misc. software onto the HDD, it says that I cannot because "You can only install this software on the disk that is running Mac OS X." How do I also get the HDD to also run Mac OS X? My old Mac G5 never had this problem with multiple drives, please help.

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

yea.... well new iLife apps have to be installed on the system HDD (in your case your SSD) but you can simply move the applications to your HDD... just click the app (imovie i.e.) and move it to the HDD.. just tried with the setup and it works perfectly :D