Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluesky2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
London
I am using macbook pro 13 mid 2012. I replaced 500gb HDD by 120gb SSD and moved HDD to optical drive place. Now there are two hard drive in my mbp and no optical drive. I tried many times but I couldn't install win 7 on HDD without an optical drive. I used usb to boot win 7 but until the stage of choosing partition to install, it always showed " window cannot support booting from this disk..." .
I also tried using Winclone but after restoring It still couldn't boot from the window partition which I'd just used winclone to restore win 7 in. ( just a black screen appeared after holding option key and choosing window instead of mac)
Anyone can help me? Thanks.

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I am using macbook pro 13 mid 2012. I replaced 500gb HDD by 120gb SSD and moved HDD to optical drive place. Now there are two hard drive in my mbp and no optical drive. I tried many times but I couldn't install win 7 without an optical drive. I used usb to boot win 7 but until the stage of choosing partition to install, it always showed " window cannot support booting from this disk..." .
I also tried using Winclone but after restoring It still couldn't boot from the window partition which I'd just used winclone to restore win 7 in. ( just a black screen appeared after holding option key and choosing window instead of mac)
Anyone can help me? Thanks.

If you'd done a forum search, you would've found out that you need a physical, internal disk drive to install windows, it's a windows setup thing, has nothing to do with OS X.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
If you'd done a forum search, you would've found out that you need a physical, internal disk drive to install windows, it's a windows setup thing, has nothing to do with OS X.

rubbish. i installed windows 7 on my 13" 2012 pro using a usb becuase ive got dual hdd setup.
problem is probably that you have osx on the ssd, and trying to install windows on the hdd.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Correct, I just installed windows 7 on my 13 MBPR last night using a USB drive and it took all but ten minutes to do.
That's normal.

The retinas and mba and all the other optical-less macs will have no trouble as their EFI is set to fool windows setup into thinking it's being installed from an internal dvd drive.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
That's normal.

The retinas and mba and all the other optical-less macs will have no trouble as their EFI is set to fool windows setup into thinking it's being installed from an internal dvd drive.

There's no "tricking" needed. Google it and you'll find LOTS of tutorials online for creating a Windows 7 installation flash drive.

Here, I did it for you

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
i dont see the need for tutorials. bootcamp created the bootable usb for me?

onerovico

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
I think the problem is that you want to install windows on to the hdd in the optical bay!!

I think there is something like a permission on the macbook 2012 (in firmware), so its not possible to change the partition table on the optical bay hdd or ssd.

You have to change the position of your drives.

And i know connection on optibay blah blah, I have a 15 inch 2012 and have full speed on both driveways.

wathefak

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
this is too troublesome to open up my MBP and unplug the main system SSD to install winblows in my HDD :mad: well, maybe I should live with virtualization...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.