Cannot Install Win7 via BootCamp. Black Screen Blinking Cursor.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by phyrexia, Apr 26, 2012.

1. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone. I've changed configurations in my 2011 Macbook Pro and I'm having trouble installing Windows 7 via bootcamp.

When I first got this computer I installed win7 (via BC) onto the stock 750GB HDD. It was a painless procedure and everything worked as it should have.

Later, I bought a 256GB SSD and an optibay. I reinstalled Lion onto the SSD and put the 750GB drive in the optibay. The bootcamp partition was in good health at this point. I was able to virtualize the partition using Parallels and, IIRC, I could still boot into Windows natively.

Now, I've purchased a 64GB SSD to with the 256GB SSD. I have Lion installed on the 64GB drive, installed in the main hard drive bay. The 256GB drive is now empty and in the optibay. My superdrive is in a USB enclosure and is in good working condition.

BootCamp assistant successfully creates a BootCamp partition on my 256GB drive and reboots my machine. However, when the machine reboots I am left with a black screen and a blinking cursor. The DVD drive spins for 3 or 4 minutes and then stops. The black screen continues forever, I assume.

I've already deleted my old BootCamp partition (which in retrospect was a mistake) and removed the 750GB HDD from the machine, as well.

I am using a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, but it is an upgrade version. This should not (and does not, in my experience with other machines) affect the ability of the DVD to boot a computer. (I have a verified working non-legit full version, but using it does not solve my problem.)

That said, the current legit DVD is in good working condition. I installed it onto a PC to verify this.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know I could run a VM for windows, but I would like to be able to upgrade the firmware on my SSDs without removing them from my machine if possible. Also, I would like to be able to boot into a native windows session on the very rare occasions I decide to game on this machine.

tl;dr: 64gb ssd in main bay, 256gb ssd in optibay, windows won't install on 256gb, i know the install media is good, it used to work with 256ssd/750gb hdd, with win on 750gb.

2. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Boot Camp Install Setup guide for 10.7

page 6 If you have a Mac Pro with more than one internal disk and you want to install Boot Camp on a disk that isn’t in the first hard drive bay, remove the drives in the lower numbered bays. You can reinstall the drives after you install Boot Camp.

I have yet to find a case where the Windows 7 install DVD can be booted using an USB external optical drive. So I think you're going to need to image it to ISO and try doing it with a USB stick according to page 5.

3. Sincci macrumors regular

Well, you could try putting the 256gb ssd in the main bay and the superdrive temporarily in the optibay, then try installing windows and if it succeeds, putting the 64gb ssd in the optibay. OSX doesn't mind about the bay where it is installed, but Windows usually only boots from disks that are in the main bay in Macs.

4. murphychris macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure it will boot Windows from any internal disk.