Cannot install Windows 10 using El Capitan Bootcamp. Help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jaybar, Oct 26, 2015.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I am trying to install Windows 10 using El Capitan Bootcamp Assistsnt. I get as far as a list of partitions. One of the partitions is BOOTCAMP. When I highlight it and choose the format option, I get a message something like cannot locate partition. I then exit restore to a single portion and start over and get the same thing again. What is causing this. How can I get past this? What do I need to do?

Thanks

2. hoggis macrumors newbie

Am getting the same problem. Fortunatly my mac is new and am going to wipe it and reinstall OS X to see if that fixes the problem.

3. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

My hunch is that won't fix it. My problem went away when I disconnected all my external drives other then the the usb which Bootcamp assistant loaded the ISO and drivers on to. You need to disconnect the drives and restart your Mac and then access Bootcamp again. Uncheck all but the bottom option and proceed.

4. hoggis macrumors newbie

5. techguy69 macrumors regular

techguy69

I can confirm that this fix works! Just bought a 5K iMac and wanted to install Windows 10, but I encountered this issue. I had a USB that was not part of the installation, so I disconnected it, restarted, and it installed without a hitch! Thanks @jaybar!

6. hoggis macrumors newbie

This works for me as well, unplugged my external usb drive reboot and it installs fine.
    Thanks everyone

7. jjdodders macrumors member

I'm having this exact problem, but your fix doesn't work for me as Bootcamp is not giving me an option to create a USB install disk. The version of Bootcamp on my iMac installs windows without a usb by creating a temporary partition.

Anyone know how to force bootcamp to make a usb instead?