Cannot Install Windows 7 in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tnsmart, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

So, using the Boot Camp Assistant, I created a Windows partition and tried to install windows using a DVD. When the computer restarts, I get a message that looks like this on a black background:

Select CD-ROM Boot Type:

At this screen, the keyboard has no effect at all. If I restart my computer, it boots from the DVD with the same message. If I hold option on startup, I can select to start up from my mac hard drive or one of two disks: 'Windows' and 'EFI Boot'.

I have tried this with a 32-bit and a 64-bit DVD. Same result on both.

I have a MacBook Core 2 Duo. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

2. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have Parallels. I have VMware Fusion. Any solution for that? I'll try it in VMware Fusion when I get home, but I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't involve third-party tools.

3. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried it with VMware FUsion. The options with VMware and Parallels are too different to let me follow the tutorial. Any other suggestions?

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I find your problem odd, because I had the same problem with Windows7x64 but not the 32 bit version. It took some work to make a bootable version of the x64 disk but once I did that everything was smooth.

Info :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467704
    http://www.jowie.com/blog/post/2008...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx

This seems to be a problem with those of us with 32 bit EFI bios'. I fixed mine by making a new DVD; but it's not the easiest thing. It sounds like only the 64 bit version would give you problems, the 32 bit should work.

5. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Perhaps a dumb question, but are you using a WIRELESS or USB keyboard?

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

It has nothing to do with the keyboard, for some reason this comes up if the EFI bios is wrong.

7. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help. I made a new CD with the 32 bit version and it worked fine.