Cannot install Windows XP on Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MaestroBLC, Mar 5, 2011.

1. MaestroBLC macrumors newbie

Ok, so from what I've seen Mac users have been able to set up Boot Camp with Windows XP in the past, but so far, I've had no luck. When I start up the Boot Camp assistant it doesn't make any mention on installing anything below Windows 7 (Which I don't have), so I assumed that they just wanted you to use 7 because it was newer, although XP was still supported. I went through the installer like normal creating my Windows partition, then popping in my disc, and watch the computer reboot. After it rebooted, it came into the Windows XP install screen asking me to accept the license agreement, and where to install the OS. After it was done with all that, when it rebooted it said "Disk Error" with plain 'ol white text on a black background, and it was stuck there until I pressed a key. When I pressed a key, it just rebooted and did the same thing. Since that kept happening, I booted back into OS X and removed my Windows partition. Any help to why this won't work? I'd really like to use Windows on here! :confused:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The 2010 MBA and 2011 MBP don't support anything other than W7 according to an Apple KB article.

EDIT: At least for the MBA workarounds exist, I haven't seen a guide for the MBP yet.

B

3. MaestroBLC thread starter macrumors newbie

4. stjric, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

stjric macrumors newbie

I have same issue

I have the same issue. Bootcamp assistant states I should insert my Windows7 disc (no mention of XP). When try with XP 32 bit Professional it reboots to install Windows and then gets stuck on the first screen which just says "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration". Eventually I can hear the disc has stopped spinning and I can feel the GPU at the back left of the bottom of the laptop getting warm/hot.

Bit annoying. I would obviously prefer Win7 but I only have an Upgrade licence for it where as I have some unused licenses for XP Pro. Looks like I'm going to have to go out and buy Windows again!?!

Thought it might be something to do with needing to slip stream sata drivers on to XP as I needed to do this when I installed it on my previous laptop, but can't find anything regarding this on the internet specifically for this macbook.

Anyone out there able to give me some advice to help me save another £100 on buying Windows again?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: OP - Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread but think we have the same issue(?) so thought I'd tag along to see if anyone has any solutions. Hope this is ok :)

5. balamw, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

W7 upgrade works fine. Just ignore what Boot Camp Assistant says and install by inserting the W7 upgrade disc in the drive an boot the Mac holding Alt/Option.

Then, use one of the methods at http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx to get it to activate.

Well at least that's not on the list of Macs that don't actually support anything other than W7. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4410 I'll give you the same advice I gave above. Ignore Boot Camp Assistant after you have made your partition. Boot using Alt/Option with your XP disc in the drive and install as per usual to the space allocated by BCA. Unlike the assisted install you will have to hold Alt/Option every time Windows wants to reboot during the install.

B

6. MaestroBLC thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I will try that, and leave a response on whether it works or not.