Cannot install XP - Windows Installer Disc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by andy317, Mar 31, 2008.

1. andy317 macrumors member

Hi All,

I am having trouble installing Windows XP on my new iMac.

The disk is a copy from work with a valid licence key but it says to insert the Installer Disc and try again.

I don't have a clue what to do. It does work on my Windows laptop though.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Regards
    Andy

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

is it Windows XP SP2? has to be version SP2 to work with Boot Camp.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Do you know that it is a good copy? Can you boot a PC off it? That would be my first guess.

4. andy317 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry,

Yes it has SP2 on the disk and also it is a good copy as it does boot on my laptop.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you followed to Boot Camp documentation properly? open Boot Camp Assistant in the Utilities folder and click "Print Installtion & Setup Guide".

you can read it without printing by going to /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj and opening Documentation.pdf if you like.

6. andy317 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I followed the docs correctly and once I get to the stage of installing the error occurs and states I need the "Windows Installer Disc".

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I'm having problems too. After it copies all the files and restarts I get "Disc Error. Press any key to reboot". I've followed the Boot Camp instructions as well.

What's worse is that I can't get it to format to NTFS or else it deletes this little 128MB "space" that BootCamp made, and then I get "hal.dll missing or corrupt" errors. @#$%!

What's more annoying is I've already installed and ran Windows (in NTFS mind you) before just fine. So why all these errors!?

8. babli20 macrumors newbie

You need to make bootable XP SP2 disk. Here's the link which provides exact details around how to make a bootable copy. Previously i had made data copy of my windows xp cd that didn't work . I especially followed steps 4 and 5 in the below link that worked for me.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp