Cannot jailbreak iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rtztgue, Jan 9, 2012.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 and the thing just won't jailbreak. I have tried both versions of the dev team redsnow, (windows xp)but I can only get it to get to "waiting for reboot". Then the whole thing crashes. The next time I try it, redsnow crashes and locks my phone, so I have to restore from iTunes.

Anyone else having trouble?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Which version of redsn0w did you try?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure you have the latest redsnow version, point it to the correct stock iphone 4 5.0.1 ipsw.
    If still nothing use another computer to JB it.

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Try the latest version found on the dev-team website and run as Administrator
    or the non-windows version check on:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

5. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

I used the newest version as in the link above. I tried both the windows versions and I was definitely in admin mode. It never asked where the ipsw was though. It just tried to do it over the net cause it hit my firewall. I opened the firewall for it. It checked id, loaded first stage, etc. then it went into waiting for reboot. The phone rebooted fine, but redsnow just stayed on the "waiting for reboot" The phone worked fine, just not jail broken.

This should be easy as well. The phone is stock iPhone 4. Three weeks old, with hardly anything on it. I just got the silly thing and knowing the jb was coming out I have not done much with it.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Try to run it by manually pick the firmware.

Extras/Select IPSW

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Redsn0w doesnt't do anything over internet.

Download the ipsw file.

Shutdown all AV software
    Shutdown firewall
    Shutdown all VPN's s you are using any

In redsn0w under extra's select ipsw you downloaded and than do jailbreak

3 weeks old? An 8 gig IP4 than

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You do need internet connection to run redsn0w. Otherwise, it will fail. Originally, I thought that too. So, Labman, Applejuiced and I tried it and it failed. See the following post that we discussed about this previously.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1286153&highlight=redsn0w+can+t+run+without+internet

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

DFU restore to 5.0.1
    Download and run redsn0w .9.10b3

It requires no directing it to an ipsw, and assuming you are running from a clean installation of 5.0.1, it should work flawlessly.

10. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

I read the threat, but mine boots perfectly tethered without internet on 9.10b3

and that was 9.9b8 in which you had to select manually ipsw for 5.01.

Its fine without internet.

Hope it works now for the OP

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Interesting......Thanks for sharing. I will test this out when I am getting off work tonight. :)

12. MemphisDave macrumors regular

MemphisDave

I used a perserved Baseband 5.0.1 using redsn0w .9.10b3 and updated my firmware from 4.3.1 in itunes. I also want to mention the phone has been jailbroken when I made the update.

I'm running 5.0.1 just fine...however when I attempted to jailbreak using redsn0w .9.10b3, I can't seem to enter DFU mode...< this is usually a very easy thing to do for me. Instead, I end up in Restore mode(USB itunes screen). The only quick fix out of viscous Restore mode loop is program by iH8sn0w.com called IReb recovery loop fixer. IT works great.

Any idea why i can't get into DFU mode ever since i made the 5.0.1 update?

Thanks,
    MemphisDave

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It makes sense. If it no longer needs an ipsw selected to function properly, it must read the software setup on the phone and then query the internet somewhere as to how to proceed with the jailbreak process. It is also maybe used for things such as downloading and injecting the iPad baseband for applicable hardware.

First off, why are you booting tethered using redsn0w .9.10b3 when it allows for untethered functionality?

Plug the phone into itunes and close all other programs. Hold the power button for 10 seconds, then start holding the home button too. Keep holding both buttons until the phone pops up in itunes requesting that it's software must be restored in order to function AND the screen on the iPhone remains off/black.

14. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Maybe read the threat, it was about tethered boot needing internet, which it doesn't need.

Pwnage and redsn0w can do there thing without dowloading anything.

Enter DFU by holding power and home together, as soon as the phone turns of count 3 seconds than release power while keeping home pressed for another 6 seconds, that will bring the phone in DFU.

15. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

My point is, why are you booting tethered if you can untether your jailbreak? To each their own I suppose ... and it's "thread" ;)

And DFU mode is technically holding power for 5, then holding home+power for 10, then let go of power until phone enters DFU mode.

16. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

I do have an utethered as you can read in my signature.
    You can skip the first step on DFU, just try it.

As for the spelling; 97,85%
    Suggested reading: revocation of independence

17. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

redsn0w_win_0.9.10b3_novcheck. This is one of the versions of redsnow I am using. the other one has the version check. I got them right off of the dev team site.

Yes this version is defintely using the net to verify the software. It hit my firewall so I denied it and the redsnow did nothing. When I allow it to pass the firewall Redsnow verifies the software and starts the process.

I see now where I can manually select the IPSW. I just never checked the exras. I can try again when I get the phone back, its not in my possession at the moment. Maybe that will fix it.

Oh, and this is just a basic phone on our corporate plan which is why it is new, iphone 4, 8b. just had no need to get the 4s and pay that price

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

K chief, I'll go by the English and commonly used spelling.

19. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

:)

Lets try to get the OP a bit further.

i've heard that the IP4 8Gig has hit this problem before that's why i asked.

Try another pc or if you have access to a mac that might work.

20. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

GOT IT!!!

I restored the phone to factory. Set it up as a new phone on 5.0.1 with itunes. Did just the basics to get it to the main screen. Icoud, backup etc. I rebooted my PC for clean boot, also i shut down some of my windows programs. firewall, dropbox etc. Then I ran the windows non-check version of redsnow. directed it to the 5.0.1 ipsw. It worked. Finally. Then I had to reinstall apps and contacts etc. But I could not do this from a backup. it had to be fresh. If i went from a backup I had problems, such as the text not working.

Anyway. It is working okay now. So we will see how it does over the next few day.