Cannot load specific website: Worked for years then one day..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GHII, Feb 2, 2008.

1. GHII macrumors newbie

I visit the Boards over at IGN.com multiple times a day. I have two internet connections: One at my house, one in the office next door. They are both going through the same model Linksys wireless router. Now, I've been visiting IGN for years with no problems, but on Friday morning, all of a sudden my home connection would not load it, any IGN website i.e. boards.ign.com, ign.com, 360.ign.com, etc...

My office connection next door loads it fine just as always, and my home network seems to be working normally as pages load as fast as always, yet any IGN page just "hangs" until I get "Safari could not open the page “XXXX” because the server stopped responding". My specs:

Leopard 10.5.1
    Safari 3.0.4

I have a Macbook that I use the wireless with and I use a mac pro for the wired ethernet, neither can access IGN pages. I've tried clearing the cache, resetting the computer, router, & modem, going straight the from the modem to computer, dnsstuff.com setting up a deal there, and when I try to ping their site I get:

PING ign.com (216.35.123.102): 56 data bytes

and nothing else. This has become a huge nuisance and I would appreciate it if anyone can give me some tips about what the hell happened to cause this.. Much Appreciated! :D

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

try loading it in firefox. report back the result.

3. GHII thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, sorry I didnt mention it, doesnt load in FF either, I never get any error in FF, just a blank page and at the status bar just "connecting to XXXX.com" with no result.

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

maybe you have it blocked by parental controls or the software firewall?

5. GHII thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont have any software firewalls and the parental controls aren't enabled. Even if I did have something like that, how would that website auto-add to itself while I was sleeping?

BTW, I really, really, really appreciate the help!

EDIT: Is there anything that I can use to see what is happening to the connection? Sort of like a trace route but from my IP to theirs?

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

There's a software firewall that's built into OS X. Go to system prefs > security > firewall. It should be set to "allow all incoming connections." It's not likely the problem, but it's worth checking.

7. GHII thread starter macrumors newbie

It has "allow all incoming connections" selected.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Try taking the macbook that can't connect and hooking it directly to the pipe that your other computer users to successfully load the page. That way you'll know if the problem is within your macbook, or due to a problem with the network setup outside of your macbook.

9. GHII thread starter macrumors newbie

Well actually, it's setup like this:

Home Connection: Macbook (wireless) Mac Pro (Wired)
    Office Connection: Windows Machine (wireless)

I can connect wirelessly to the office connection with my macbook, and it works fine. But using any connection here at home, wireless or wired on either computer, it doesnt work.

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Well that sounds like you've eliminated the Macs as the problem. In which case, we're beyond my area of expertise and I can't help you. Maybe your home's ISP is blocking the site? I'd suggest posting your problem in the mac help forum as it seems to me unlikely that it's an OS X problem.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

11. GHII thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help...

If a mod sees this can you please move it to the mac help forum?