cannot login to MSN using iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aldorande, Apr 2, 2010.

1. aldorande macrumors member

I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.2 and I think that was working in the past: I used to be able to chat with my MSN contacts.

Now I get this error

iChat can't communicate with the jabber account "...@hotmail.com".
    The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out

I checked my password, and it is correct. I can check my Hotmail emails using those credentials.

I didn't change the server settings as well.
    Any other ideas?

2. mwxiao macrumors regular

MSN is not a jabber account. iChat itself doesn't support MSN account. You have to google some work around for it to work. But it still has lots of problems.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Adium is an excellent IM application for mac that supports MSN (and a whole host of others including facebook chat).

Give it a try, easier than trying to get iChat to work.

4. aldorande thread starter macrumors member

I know Adium, but that's not what I want. I prefer to get Apple iChat to work.

I am sure at 90% that I was abler to get it to work some days ago. I don't know if some Mac OS upgrade ****ed that up. And I didn't need any MSN Messenger, Psi or Adium for that.

can anybody confirm that I didn't dream? is anybody using MSN IM through iChat?

Edit: in the meanwhile I downloaded MSN Messenger for Mac and that is working. But I like the "All in one app" concept, that's why I'd follow up on that.

5. stu212 macrumors member

You just dreamt this. It's not possible at all and never was. It has never worked only if you use psi and the jabber workaround.

6. hassoon macrumors regular

msn on ichat ?

hi i'm new to the mac world! is there anyway that i can open my hotmail account on ichat?! if you wanna suggest any mac app please let be safe . thank you !

7. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Either this was a sarcastic post or there is all kinds of things wrong with it...