cannot login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hehe299792458, May 20, 2009.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

when I try to login, I get an error saying "You are unable to log in to the user account 'ACCOUNT_NAME' at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred".

I suspect this occurred because I was trying to erase my Data partition, which contained my Home folder. However, I couldn't erase the Data partition because it couldn't unmount the volume. I thought restarting would help, but after restarting, I got this error message. BTW, this is a MBA, so I have no idea how to boot into a disc. I do not care for any of the data on the computer as I was about to do a complete reinstall. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

What probably happened was that some of the information that is needed for your user account is corrupted or incorrect. There really isn't an easy fix that I know of -- but if you were planning on doing a reinstall anyway, I'd just do it.

3. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

how would I reinstall? Do I have to get an usb disc drive to do it, or is there another way?

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Looks like you need to reinstall OS X.

If you have an external DVD drive then connect it to the MBA, insert the Restore DVD into the drive and boot the compter while holding down the C Key.

If you don't have an external DVD you will need to do a remote install using another computer. This may help : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2129

5. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

thanks a lot. That link for remote disc reformatting is exactly what I need.

6. macbook994411 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem as hehe2997924587641220 "when I try to login, I get an error saying "You are unable to log in to the user account 'ACCOUNT_NAME' at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred".

but i reely care about all my information

i had to erase my hard drive and reinstal mac OS X, i use time machine backups, recoverd my account from time machine, but i cant log in i get that same error, i have tried migration assistant and manually getting the most inportant information to me out of time machine(music, pictures, ect.) by searching through the files on my time machine HD but that didnt work.
    and the mac store is reely far away so thats my last resort

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT