Cannot make Bootcamp partition more than 32 GB

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Red Cube, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Red Cube macrumors member

For some reason, when I installed windows using boot camp, it would not let me make a partition that was more than 32 GB. Because of that, I have very little available space on my windows partition, and I have had to use an external drive. I have freed up over 20 GB on my Mac partition, and I want to resize the two partitions, though whenever I try to resize them using disk utility, it fails because of an error. I know there is software out there for this, but I do not want to waste money on something as trivial as this.

2. NectarMBA macrumors newbie

How did you notice you could not partition to more than 32GB?

Hello Red Cube,

Can you tell me how did it inform you that you could not make a partition that was more than 32 GB??

I ask the question because I have problem while trying to install Windows 8 with Bootcamp (new MBA 2013). When I try to partition with 90 GB for Windows, Boot Camp hangs and does nothing.

Reading your post I was thiniking that it is maybe because the partition size I try is above 32GB..

(However, Apple helps says that for Windows 8 the size of the partition should be 30GB minimum...)

Thanks in advance

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Same question, how do you know this? It freezes, it tells you?

I recently made a bootcamp partition, and had to restore my whole machine from a time machine backup due to disk fragmentation. It must have a contiguous block of your requested size in or to successfully make the partition of the requested size.