Cannot move files from Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iChief, Nov 25, 2011.

1. iChief macrumors member

iChief

Mac mini running Snow Leopard.

I stupidly put my entire iTunes folder on my Time Capsule. iTunes can access it ok but the TC doesn't always mount when I wake my Mac mini from sleep. So I want to move the iTunes folder from the TC (which is connected to my Mac mini by ethernet cable) to an external HDD, which is connected to my Mac by firewire 800.

However, when I attempt to move the folder I get an error message: The folder "iTunes" cannot be moved because it is in use.

It doesn't make sense because I haven't got iTunes running, therefore it is not in use.

Can anybody help? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Look to see if something like iTunes Helper is running. You may also have a lyrics widget that's accessing iTunes. If all else fails, restart and try before you launch anything.

3. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

I just did what you suggested and iTunes Helper is not running and I couldn't see anything like a lyrics widget in Activity Monitor :confused:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you restart?

5. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

I'm in the process of doing that now. I'm going to try to be quick once it reboots and try and initiate the transfer before anything auto launches :eek:

----------

Now the Time Capsule disk is not showing up in Finder. I'm going to shut down everything including the TC and then reboot.

6. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

This is a joke. It keeps saying that the folder is in use. Who cares if it's in use? I'm trying to copy the files not move them!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Which is it?

8. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

I just want to copy them. But you're right, the error message is saying they can't be 'moved'. How do I specify that I just want to copy the file and not move it?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dragging and dropping them from one drive to another should work fine.

10. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

When I'm dragging I get a little green plus sign on the cursor. I imagine that means that I'm copying the files, right?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep.

12. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

Hmmm. It's still not allowing me to complete the 'action'. This is beginning to become very frustrating. I feel like my iTunes folder is trapped forever! :mad:

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried copying songs from the TC to your internal hard drive? If that works, you could then move them to the external. Also, you might try turning off Time Machine, ejecting the TC, re-mounting it, and try the copy again.

14. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

Thanks GGJstudios. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I was pulling my hair out so in the end I left it. However, I feel like tackling the problem again. I can move individual files to my internal drive but I think you're right, there's a problem with the external drive.
    I have partitioned it into two volumes, now only one volume mounts. When I try to mount the other with Disk Utility it warns me to back up my files and repair disk.
    It goes from bad to worse :(