Cannot move or delete folders on imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lemurf, Jul 2, 2011.

1. lemurf, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011

lemurf macrumors newbie

Hi all. I got a bunch of files, tv shows and movies, on my mac from a friend's hard drive. I don't know if that was the cause but since they went on I cant move any folder anywhere, not even to trash. When I trash something by dragging it or else right click 'move to trash' it says 'type password to allow finder to make changes' and another window says 'preparing to delete' and it has a progress bar, but having typed the password, nothing happens. I can delete files in the folders, but cant move or delete the folders. It also makes the sound effect as if the folder has been deleted.

I've read as many forum posts as I could find on this issue, tried as much of what was suggested as I could understand and still nothing happened. I'm wondering could this be a virus or a permission or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers...

I just learned that this problem is only on my desktop, also on finder there is a padlock icon on the desktop folder that is not on any other folder.

I also tried to screen shot that for you to upload it here but it told me that the screenshot cant be saved because I don't have permission to save files in the location where screen shots are stored. Now as far as I know, there is only one user on this mac, and I'm not on a guest profile or a non administrative account, I don't understand why I don't have permission, or why I would need it.

Thank you for any help you can give...

Also, in finder, when I click 'get info' for the desktop folder, in the sharing and permissions, it says 'you can only read' and where it lists the permissions for 'everyone' it says no access, and every time I tried to change that, it switched back to no access in the blink of an eye. Also, the listing for 'staff' permissions that are on every other file and folder, is mysteriously gone. Although the permissions listed for the administrator account are 'read and write'

So I'm confused and as far as this mac is concerned, powerless!

Thanks in advance...

Right, for anyone experiencing the same problem, I just solved it and feel like a moron! There was a little check box marked 'locked' under general in get info. Uncheck that and you should be able to do things with your desktop now.

Sorry about this! :p

2. AndersHP macrumors newbie

Heh :)
    A similar thing can obviously happen when trying to access a hard drive formatted on a pc. Mac's cannot write on NTFS harddrives, only read.
    It wasn't your case this time, but just thought I would share.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm glad you figured it out. For future reference, if you have a problem with something on your Mac, it's not a virus. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)

4. Fokogrilo macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm new on working with macs and I got this problem up here. I copied some files from a pen drive formatted on a PC, now I can't erase or move them. When I try to open them it says its not "The alias "folder.jpg" can't be open because the original item cant be found".

Any help?:D:D

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Plug in the drive, then delete the item and empty your Trash. Then unplug the drive.

6. Fokogrilo macrumors newbie

Didn't work, even with the same files on the pen drive :( Any other idea?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. Fokogrilo macrumors newbie

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Add you to what? Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. As an alternative, you can take your Mac to the Apple store and they can do it for you.

10. AndersHP macrumors newbie

I was a bit anxious about using Terminal in the beginning as well, but as long as you type exactly as the links states above, you'll be fine.

It's quite convenient to be able to go "behind the interface" of Mac OS and get things done if they don't work the traditional way. Try it. I emptied my trashcan this way as well once..