Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
I've got an .sit document on my desktop that I downloaded, its a game that came off Apple.com. Well anyways, the file is corrupt and it will not expand properly, so I tried to delete it... well it gives me an error :

"The item is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.) Try again when the other task is complete."

So I close down every application I have open, its just me and finder... and it still will not "move to trash".. gives me the same error. I emptied my trash.. still the same error.

What is going on and how do I delete this file? Thanks.

bograt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
UK
Re: Cannot "Move to Trash"

Originally posted by cr2sh
I've got an .sit document on my desktop that I downloaded, its a game that came off Apple.com. Well anyways, the file is corrupt and it will not expand properly, so I tried to delete it... well it gives me an error :

"The item is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.) Try again when the other task is complete."

What is going on and how do I delete this file? Thanks.

Well someone else has already answered how to delete it, so I will cover what is going on.

This file I could have looked smart and told you it was a download, the reason for this is because downloads when they are not properly finished mess up a little and become corrupt or something similar. In essence it is down to not being properly downloaded (no fault of anyone, it just happens). I had a file on my otherwise clear desktop for a few months before I found information on what the problem was.

pauld

macrumors regular
in relation to files not deleting...
Quite often when I drag a file to trash the dock wont appear so i have to "turn hiding off" and then bin it.
No big deal, but it shouldn't happen, right?

Right?

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Originally posted by johnnowak
open the terminal

type "sudo rm -rf " (yes, space after the 'f')

drag the file onto the terminal window

hit return

enter your admin password and hit enter

gone!

what if doing this still doesn't get rid of the file?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by evolu
what if doing this still doesn't get rid of the file?

But it did get rid of the file...
I'd guess you're doing it wrong. Try harder! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.