Cannot never get the verification email to set up find my phone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Nov 23, 2010.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

This free find my iPhone is a joke. I have spent the last 24 hours trying to get the email address verified and I never get the email. I keep hitting the "resend verification email" and I never get it. Its is not even in the spam folder. Any ideas.

2. memphistiger7 macrumors newbie

Weird, it sent me two verification emails, one worked and one didn't. Maybe the servers are bogged down with the update and massive flood of people who can use the feature now that couldn't before. Maybe call Apple and see what's up.

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yes, I had the same problem. I bet your apple ID was NOT an email address? And that the email address associated with that apple ID is the email address you are trying to use to sign up for find my iphone? This has to be the case, as it was exactly what happened to me. You need to use a totally different email address, one that is not in use with another apple ID. You can login to at apple and manage your current ID and change that email address to something else and THEN use the email to sign up with find my iphone. The way this is working is really stupid, apple should know what this would be an issue.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The thread title make me want to apply blunt force trauma to my head.

5. iBryton macrumors regular

It should be the Apple ID that when you purchase stuff at iTunes.

Don't think if you signed up with XXXXXXX@gmail.com :apple:
    that the Apple ID is XXXXXXX@apple.com or me.com

It's the original one you signed up with.

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Its actually really stupid and they don't make it clear.

If you are trying to use the same login that you use for iTunes, it won't send the email, or give an error. Just use the iTunes password along with your email and you're good to go.

7. JulianL macrumors 65816

I think I'm in the same trap. It's pretty poor.

If I have had a (non email) Apple ID for ages that I use every day with the app store then do I still need to use the "Create Free Apple ID" button at the bottom of the add MobileMe account screen to get a new AppleID for use with FindMyPhone? I was scared of trying this because I don't want to upset my current iTunes setup and find that everything in my iPhone (e.g. the App Store and iBooks) will start trying to use this new ID and all my apps will disappear and my iBooks stop syncing.

Can I safely create a new Apple ID and will it only be used for FindMyPhone and not upset my existing setup for the AppStore and iBooks?

- Julian

8. ericlin0122 macrumors member

gmail is not working.
    switched to hotmail, works like charm

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Exactly. My apple ID is not an email address, it is a single word. You can't use that to setup the find my iphone. The email account associated with my apple ID WOULD NOT WORK since it is associated with my apple ID that is a single word. Apple does NOT make that clear at all. I had to CHANGE my email address associated with my single word Apple ID so I could use the email I wanted to use that was previously attached to it.

10. jdbusch02 macrumors newbie

I have a yahoo address registered as my apple ID, and still have not received a verification e-mail. I've resent it at least a dozen times in the past 24 hours. Not sure what else to do? I've even tried creating a different apple ID under my other e-mail address, but found someone else registered that e-mail address, somehow. (I'm guessing by mistake). Short of creating a new e-mail address somewhere else, is there anything I can do??