Cannot open a downloaded executable file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Iggy2jj, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Iggy2jj macrumors newbie

Iggy2jj

I'm new to the use of Macs. I am using Mac OS 10.5.7.

I recently sucribed to a movie downloading site. To be able to move files to a dvd for later playing, they supplied a link to an executable file (exe extension). The file was placed in the download folder. When I double click on the file, the text editor box comes up. I tried draging the file to Applications, but still cannot get the file to run.

I tried getting help from the support team at the website, but they only restated the steps that were on the website.

I tried several searches to find an answer on installing application, but non help with downloading executable files.

What steps am I missing to get this file to run?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's a Windows app ... you need Windows to run it.

BTW, if a "movie download site" is insisting you install an .exe file, there is a good chance it is malware/spyware.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

An exe file is an executable file which will run under the Windows environment but not under the Mac OS environment.

That's why Macs are not affected by typical PC malware that is distributed as exe and other common Windows files.

If you want to run Windows on your Mac, then you will need to install Windows via BootCamp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion to run a Virtual Machine with Windows installed.

Good point!

This is especially true if they say it is a CODEX that needs to be installed to let you view the video.

4. lamadude macrumors 6502

you might be able to run that exe under crossover, but I wouldn't recommend it.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Usually these sites are full of pirated movies and the exe is almost always a trojan or malware. I would not even install the exe in bootcamp.