Cannot open a website on macbook, but on imac, on same network. Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lisamel, Sep 30, 2008.

1. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    Well the title says it all really.. I am trying to have a look at www.dance.net but my macbook wont let me.
    When i am at home and try to access it with my imac there are no problems at all. But when trying to do the same with the macbook, i get this message:

Safari can’t open the page.
    Safari could not open the page “http://www.dance.net/” because the server is not responding.

I have tried to open the site with Opera, but it wont work either.

Can anyone help, please?? :D

Many thanks

Lisa

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I tried that site with my PC and my Macbook and I have the same symptons are you describe.

I also get the same thing happening to me with MacRumors oddly enough.

How is your network setup? Are you sharing the internet from one computer or does it go through a router.

I ask because I share from my PC and believe this to be the root cause of the problem.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I tried to check the site, but this computer (I'm at school, pc with windows 2000 firefox) neither opens it. So I think it's the server. (so not your fault).

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Site opens fine here in the UK on a wireless network from a MacBook

Although not from your link cause it has a " on the end of the link...

5. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Yep that (") at the end on the second link is messing it up. Remove it and it works fine.

6. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    I am now on my iMac at home and I can enter the site no problems. I have my macbook next to me, which is connected to internet by wireless via a router, and it wont go to the site. I get the same message as I copied in the original post.

Its strange because I tried to enter the site at my friends apartment as well, and it worked on her macbook, but not mine. So I have a feeling it must be in my settings or something?

Does anyone know what to do? :)

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

this is odd - is your iMac connecting wirelessly too ?

If so sit them side by side and compare the airport settings (system preferences>network) on both machines - the only thing that I can think of is the MTU setting - but you would have to have changed it on the MacBook.......

8. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Yes its very strange. The iMac is also connected wirelessly.
    I am at school now but will try and see if the settings are the same on both macs. Hope I can sort it :)

9. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

I now have the macbook with my and im on my imac, but the network settings seems to be the same.
    Does anyone know what to look for?

Thanks!

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Go to system preferences>network then select airport (if not already selected) then click advanced and finally go to the ethernet tab and check if different to what it shows on the iMac. Also check the TCP/IP tab and again check for any differences with the iMac....

Let us know what you find.

11. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Okay, I will do that now. I took two screen shots at school now, but will check with the network at home and on the imac :)

Attached Files:

12. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Here are the photos from my iMac :)

Does anyone know what to do?

EDIT: I tried to load the site when only connected by ethernet cable, and I couldnt load it. As soon as I go on the wireless it works fine. This is so strange!

Attached Files:

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

There is nothing jumping out that seems odd - the first screen prints (MacBook) are using the school network - could you do them again connected wirelessly to your home router so that it is the same network as the iMac photos ?

Do you mean that the iMac connected by ethernet to the router cannot load the site (dance.net) but loads it fine when connected wirelessly...??

14. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

That happens to me too. Try resetting your network connection.

15. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Yeh thats what happened, really strange. But I will take new photos when I am connected at home.

How do I reset the settings? Thanks!

16. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

More then likely its a server issue. I could go to the website with no problems.

But anyway, open up network utility(spotlight will bring it up for you)

Then go to Traceroute
    Enter in www.dance.net
    Then click on Trace...

Do this on your imac and your macbook. Post the results. Your ISP may have an issue with a router that your macbook is using that your imac is not...

17. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Here are the photos from my macbook at home on the same wireless network as the imac. The strange thing is though, that when i was at a friends, and I could log on to dance.net on her mecbook, but not mine. On the same wireless network.

Right, now the macbook is connected to the time capsule via ethernet cable. I changed the settings in safari to allow pop ups as my imac does. And now dance.net works. I will disconnect the ethernet cable and see if it still works.

Also I will try your advice ^ :)

18. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

This is so strange. Well the good thing is that the website now works, after i allowed pop ups :) the strange bit is that it only works wirelessly. So if i connect the ethernet cable, it gives me the same message again..

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I was on dance.net for a bit, but now its not working anymore. I really dont know what to do to fix it