Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonpie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
After the last update to my El Capitan Server to the last server version, after reboot, I have lost all capability to launch any apple app from the gui. For all App I get the message :
Cannot open application X, it is either damaged or incomplete.

CannotOpen.png

This is a translation as the message is in French and the preference App will not open anymore, so I cannot change my language. Also, many icons have a bland unknown app icon.

Now, what is weird, is that I have a second user with administrative privileges. This user is unaffected by the problem and I can load all the apps.

This is my main corporate server and I really do not want to reinstall and reconfigure the server anew. Anyone has a solution ? I have tried this link, but it does not work.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
@simonpie Does the issue occur when you try and open the Server app right from the applications folder? I have seen Dock shortcuts get broken on only one account and cause similar behavior before.

jpete

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
Before resetting or reinstalling or even logging into a guest account, try clearing cache folders. I'm currently on MacOS Sierra Version 10.12.6. Go > Go to > /var/folders > any folder except for zz (don't touch the zz folder), go into and clear any O, C, or T folders that you can. Empty your recycle bin and then restart. You should be able to open your apps again and see your app icons again. Twice this has happened to me - the first time, I went through all the possible fixes and then finally AppleCare supervisor figured it out by clearing a couple of Cache file folders. Second time it happened, they couldn't figure it out even with the record of the first fix - and figured it out myself despite the tech telling me I probably had a failing hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.