Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monsow

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
Hey I just got a Mac and I downloaded some movies, but they're avi files and quicktime or vlc cannot open the files, any ideas__?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Hey I just got a Mac and I downloaded some movies, but they're avi files and quicktime or vlc cannot open the files, any ideas__?

If VLC can't play then I wonder what the problem is? :confused: You sure its a straight .avi and doesn't have any strange codecs etc?

monsow

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
I don't know why I couldn't open the files using vlc before, but suddenly it works :D

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Don't jump to conclusions and you won't have any negative rep point problems.

i don't know what that means; however, from the sound of it, i don't really care.

he downloaded movies that don't play through any conventional means; you tell me where he got them from?

the only reason people download torrents is because they're too cheap to buy the legal version, it is what it is....

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i don't know what that means; however, from the sound of it, i don't really care.

he downloaded movies that don't play through any conventional means; you tell me where he got them from?

the only reason people download torrents is because they're too cheap to buy the legal version, it is what it is....

Oh looky looky, we have ourselves an intellectual property purist here :rolleyes: Is there a reason you automatically jump to the worst conclusion regarding the OP's intentions? Or is the only .AVI content you've heard of is pirated?
Don't mean to be rude, but if you have nothing to contribute to this thread, other than hostility and baseless accusations, then stay out of it.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Is there a reason you automatically jump to the worst conclusion regarding the OP's intentions? Or is the only .AVI content you've heard of is pirated?

No, I would not say that about .avi's; I would, however, say the vast majority of downloaded movies that are .avi's that won't play through any conventional means are pirated. You can play devils advocate if you like, but we both know they're pirated movies.

mcphee7

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
No, I would not say that about .avi's; I would, however, say the vast majority of downloaded movies that are .avi's that won't play through any conventional means are pirated. You can play devils advocate if you like, but we both know they're pirated movies.

I don't because he hasn't said so.

To the op - I'm glad your issue is sorted.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

You're being ridiculous. You are aware that movies could be anything right?

It could be a clip his friend filmed on their DSLR camera, it could be a clip for class, it could be anything ... But no, you automatically assume download and movies in the same sentence means piracy. Downloading is just a means of getting something on to your computer.

And even if he were a pirate ... It's not really any of your business. Are you saying legal movies don't come in AVI format?

mcphee7

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011

How would you feel if we jumped to the same conclusions about you? I notice you have a jailbroken iPhone (signature). Now, you are either trying to avoid paying for apps, getting round the T&C's of the app store or you have a perfectly legitimate reason for having jailbroken.

If its to avoid payment or you don't like the T & C's of the app store - shame on you.

If it's for legitimate reasons then I guess you didn't like me thinking you are stealing apps.

Either answer only serves to prove my point.

Checkmate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.