Cannot open folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xactophobic, Sep 24, 2014.

1. xactophobic macrumors newbie

I am trying to clean out my 2007 macbook pro of all files but there is one folder that is having serious issues. When I try to open it, it basically freezes for a few seconds and then redisplays, failing to open the contents of the folder.

I was trying to work around it by going to "Ally My Files" but I'm not 100% sure they are all displayed there. When I try to delete some files from there, sometimes it will not allow me to trash them.

Is there anything I can do to see what is in the folder and pick and choose what I want. Also is there a way to find out what is corrupting the folder?

I am running Lion.

Any suggestions are much appreciated! I hope this makes sense!

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

First, repair permissions. You can google or youtube that... but basically go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and select Macintosh HD on the left (or whatever you call it) and on the right click on Repair Disk Permissions.

If that doesn't work, you can click on the folder, go to File and select Get Info. On the bottom is Sharing & Permissions. You may need to click the lock on the bottom right to make changes. Basically, click on the plus icon and make sure you have "Read & Write" privilege.

3. xactophobic thread starter macrumors newbie