Cannot open Folders from the dock.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BosieB, Apr 27, 2012.

1. BosieB macrumors newbie

BosieB

Whenever I try to open a folder from the dock using the "open in Finder" command the folder window does not show up but instead the Preview app starts up and scans the selected folder,i.e., Applications, for any files it recognises.

I have repaired the permissions but it makes no difference. :confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?
    Have you tried removing the folder from the Dock and adding it again to it?

3. BosieB thread starter macrumors newbie

BosieB

Thanks. In the temporary user account the folders open as they should. Back in the admin account removing the docks folder icons and replacing them with new ones does not help.

4. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.Dock.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet? Beware, that it will reset the Dock to its original state, before you customised it.

5. BosieB, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

BosieB thread starter macrumors newbie

BosieB

I have deleted "com.apple.Dock.plist" but the problem remains.

----------

When Preview incorrectly starts up (instead of a finder window) it opens a file called "ABPhoneFormatsPreferencesModule.png". When I search for a file of this name I cannot locate it. Also I have been using XMBC alot lately. Could that have anything to do with it?

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Well that's a clue anyway. I'm gonna guess Address Book is the first listing in your Applications folder; that png is a resource within the Address Book application (normally hidden within the package). In a listing of files, it would be the first.

Have you removed the Applications icon from the dock and then dropped it on there again? What happens if you select "Show in Finder"?

7. BosieB, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

BosieB thread starter macrumors newbie

BosieB

The "Show In Finder" option, when selected from the Docks Folder icon opens Preview instead of a Finder Window. Preview then tries to locate all files it recognises in that folder which can take a very long time, so much so that I have to "Force Quit" Preview. When I select, say, an Application such as Address Book to open from the Dock folders they open just fine.

I have removed the Applications icon and other folder icons (i.e.; Documents, Downloads, etc) in the dock and replaced them but the same thing happens.

Sorry if what I write is a bit confusing but I am not very good at putting these problems into words! Thanks, Brendan.