Cannot open terminal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c1ockwerk, Nov 29, 2007.

1. c1ockwerk macrumors newbie

my buddy tried to add terminal to my dock last night and when i told him not to he put it on the desktop. I moved it back to Utilities\ but now when i goto open it, i get "You can't open the application "Terminal" because it is not supported on this architecture". What did he do? How can i fix it?

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Try doing a permissions repair on the hard drive and see if that fixes the problem. The repair might take a while (20-30 minutes in some cases).

3. c1ockwerk thread starter macrumors newbie

nope didnt work. Is there a place to download the application from apple?

4. superted666 Guest

superted666

Not directly no.
    However it will be on your OSX install disk, try searching the forums for how to install applications individually from the disk, might be a case of drag and drop but i have a feeling you may need a small 3rd party application to do it...

Ed

5. c1ockwerk thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, ill have to try that tonight, if not off to the apple store see if they can do anything

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You can use iTerm as a workaround. You can try Pacifist to extract Terminal app from the OS X install DVD and put it in /Applications/Utilities and do a permissions repair - that might get it working (I haven't tried).

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you on PowerPC or Intel? Have you run Monolingual recently?

8. c1ockwerk thread starter macrumors newbie

i am on intel macbook pro and i have no idea what monolingual is. This is my first mac got it 2 weeks ago so im still learning what to do here.