Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBrohaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hi guys,

I've been trying to install windows on my mac (10.7 mid-2010 27") for a while now and have been getting the error message saying that it cannot partition the drive because there are some fies that need to be moved and that I need to format my drive as a single Mac OS Extended (Journal) Volume. I already looked through a ton of forum posts and everyone said a defrag will take care of the issue, so I defragged and compacted my drive and I'm getting the same result. I've attached a picture of iDefrag so you guys can tell me if I did something wrong. At the very end of the drive is a volume header followed by 4 white/grey blocks, I'm not sure if they're supposed to be there or if they're causing the issue (I assumed that it should have 2 headers; one for start and one for end). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have no idea how to format my drive as an extended volume, so if that's what I have to do (I'd rather not, but am willing) I could use some steps on that too.

thanks!
Screen+Shot+2012-03-29+at+5.33.50+PM.png

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
A defrag doesn't always fix the issue - as a matter of fact, most people say it doesn't fix it. You need to do what the message says.

TheBrohaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
A defrag doesn't always fix the issue - as a matter of fact, most people say it doesn't fix it. You need to do what the message says.

Hmk, how do I go about formatting my drive as the extended journal volume?

Thanks for the speedy reply btw

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Clone the drive to an external, boot from one of the discs that came with it, erase the internal drive, then clone back to the internal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.