Cannot partition even after defragging (pic included)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheBrohaan, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TheBrohaan macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been trying to install windows on my mac (10.7 mid-2010 27") for a while now and have been getting the error message saying that it cannot partition the drive because there are some fies that need to be moved and that I need to format my drive as a single Mac OS Extended (Journal) Volume. I already looked through a ton of forum posts and everyone said a defrag will take care of the issue, so I defragged and compacted my drive and I'm getting the same result. I've attached a picture of iDefrag so you guys can tell me if I did something wrong. At the very end of the drive is a volume header followed by 4 white/grey blocks, I'm not sure if they're supposed to be there or if they're causing the issue (I assumed that it should have 2 headers; one for start and one for end). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have no idea how to format my drive as an extended volume, so if that's what I have to do (I'd rather not, but am willing) I could use some steps on that too.

thanks![​IMG]

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

A defrag doesn't always fix the issue - as a matter of fact, most people say it doesn't fix it. You need to do what the message says.

3. TheBrohaan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmk, how do I go about formatting my drive as the extended journal volume?

Thanks for the speedy reply btw

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Clone the drive to an external, boot from one of the discs that came with it, erase the internal drive, then clone back to the internal.