Cannot Partition! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SweetsXify, Mar 11, 2013.

1. SweetsXify macrumors newbie

I'm completely lost atm. I was trying to make a new partition for my mac to run bootcamp and install windows however when i go to make a new partition it says error, some files could not be moved. I didn't find a solution to that, so i decided to restore my mac, however when i try to restore it, i do the steps in order to do it and whenever i try to choose from the Mac HD and the Recovery Hd, I don't see the Recovery HD. I don't have to Recovery HD on my mac. What do i do right now. I really want to partition some space for windows but i cannot do that. help. pls

2. diablo9333 macrumors newbie

Do you have the new 2012 iMac by any chance? I had the same error and when I restored it turned out worse then it did for you. Actually I am fixing it for the second time and am having a hell of a time trying to fix.

3. SweetsXify thread starter macrumors newbie

I have spring of 2012 version i believe.

4. diablo9333 macrumors newbie

Oh okay. There was no new iMac in spring of 2012, you really just have a 2011 version. Anyways sorry for not having a proper response earlier, I had some serious problems I had to deal with. I got rid of most of them but now I have a "ghost partition" which needs taking care of. Anyways have no fear that there is no recovery partition. I don't have it either (although I just reinstalled so I might). All you have to do is hold Command + R while you boot up. It will take a while and personally I keep my fingers on the keys until the Apple logo appears to be safe(my iMac is insanely fast so that is how I know it works when it takes so long to boot). After that it will take you to a "version" of the Recovery HD. At this point you will have to re-download OS X (since you don't have a Recovery HD partition on the drive). Make sure to use Disk Utility to give it a good format. Also make sure you have a Time Machine backup (trust me, before today I never used Time Machine and it is such a life saver).

5. murphychris macrumors 6502a

This isn't coherent. There are a dozen ways to restore a Mac, so you need to be specific. Tell us what you are doing, not merely what's not working.