Cannot paste in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jamspoon, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Jamspoon macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Got a nasty issue here for which I'm seeking help: I can't paste in Safari.

Pasting is possible in the address bar, but not in any form, on a page.
    After copying some text, in the R.click popup, 'paste' is greyed out. If I enter this popup, I can't even type no more on that page.
    However, the Command-V, key combination does work! - before I R. click.
    Finder and other browsers are not affected.

I tried to fix myself, but when trying to reset permissions, result was a myriad of errors every time I start up, saying certain 'system extension cannot be used" and me having to re-install many drivers (for Wacom tablet, Audio-interface, iLok, you name it).

So this is what I've done myself up till now:

- Reset Safari
    - Deleted 'com.apple.safari.plist'
    - In 'Permissions Reset' (app): Safari shows 'Can only read'
    I clicked 'reset', then it says: Can read & write, but that doesn't solve the problem, and after logging out & in, it says 'Can only read' - again..
    - In Disk Utility: Repaired disk permissions
    - In Onyx: Deleted caches

So now I'm pretty much stuck. Maybe it's best to reinstall the complete OS, or maybe Safari if that's possible.
    But maybe someone has an easier solution..

Thanks a lot!

Safari 6.2.2
    OSX 10.8.5
    Mac Pro 4.1

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

That's an odd one. What happens if you login as a different user (e.g. guest) and try the same thing?

3. Jamspoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, forgot to mention, no problems from another account!

4. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hmmm. So that would suggest that the problem lies somewhere in your user account. Maybe try temporarily removing the Safari folder from ~/Library too and see what happens.

Reinstalling the OS seems like overkill for a User account related issue. If you really have no luck at all then it may be easier to just create a new account for yourself and use that instead.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

5. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hmmmm...

I'd be reluctant to install the whole OS when the issue is restricted to one user. If it gets to that stage, it might be less hassle to just create a new user and use that account instead.

Before you get to that stage though, I'd see if you can narrow it down to something in your user folder. Odds are it's something in there. Te question is, what! Maybe try moving ~/Library/Safari somewhere else temporarily and see if that has any effect.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

6. Jamspoon thread starter macrumors newbie

@Superscape: A big thanks for the solution, which you already wrote down last month, and I only now performed.
    So yeah, I moved the Safari folder from the Home folders' Library. Logged out and back in, that made that folder recreate itself. I then copied the Bookmarks.plist from the temp location, (because Safari reinitialised itself and my bookmarks were gone) - et voila! Everything is fine now!

Thanks again!

7. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Great news. Glad to hear you got it working.