Cannot play videos inside iphoto events

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rikscha, Oct 17, 2013.

1. rikscha macrumors 6502a

I have been using a Panasonic DMC-TZ10 camera for the last 2 years or so for taking pictures and videos.

At the time I bought the camera, iPhoto would not allow me to import videos and I had to import them to iMovies. Couple of months later after an iphoto update, I could finally import videos straight into iphoto events. All videos after that update play fine on the Apple TV but all the other videos that I later copied over from iMovie to iphoto do not and I am presented with a gray question mark on my ATV2 (latest iOS version).

All the videos that I imported from iMovie -> iPhoto work within the app on my Mac.

I am a bit puzzled, given that Apple TV is capable of playing all my latest videos taken with the very same camera, but cannot play the older ones.

Any ideas and would it help to upload one of my videos for someone to check its codec infos.

Thanks.

2. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

HOW did you copy them over from iMovie to iPhoto?

If you just drag/dropped them from the iMovie window to iPhoto, it's possible that iPhoto just has a soft link to the location of that iMovie clip or project. And the Apple TV can't easily play video that is stored in Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), which is how iMovie clips and projects are stored. AIC is a very VERY high bit rate format, and ATV probably can't handle streaming that from your computer.

Whenever you import a movie from your camera into iMovie, iMovie auto-converts the file format from the original to AIC. The benefit of AIC is it allows you to very easily and quickly skim through end edit the video when you are working with it in iMovie. But for playback and streaming you'll want to export from iMovie into a lower bit rate format.

What you can do at this point is use the actual export process in iMovie to export your projects (you'll have to make each clip a "project" before exporting; you can't just export a "clip" on its own unless it's in a "project".)
    This will convert from AIC to .mov or .mp4 or .m4v (depending on which export format you choose). You can put those exported movies into a folder and then just drag them into iPhoto.

Before you say it: Yes this is a clumsy and un-Apple-like process. iMovie and iPhoto and iTunes do not really play nicely together when it comes to home video. You can make it work, but it's often so much of a hassle that you end up not having your home movies readily viewable on your TV like you do with your photos.

Photos are stored and edited in only one place: iPhoto.
    You download from your camera to iPhoto, make any edits within iPhoto, and they are streamed to Apple TV via iTunes without you having to move or export the files further.

Movies are stored in up to three places: iPhoto or iMovie or iTunes.
    They are only editable in iMovie, but they can't stream to your ATV from iMovie.
    They are only streamable from iPhoto or iTunes, but they can't be edited in iPhoto or iTunes.
    You download from your camera into either iPhoto or iMovie (but never iTunes). The iPhoto movies are streamed to ATV via iTunes (if they are in h.264 format; if you have .avi's they need to be transcoded via quicktime). The iMovie movies are not streamable to ATV unless first exported to iTunes, or exported to the finder and then imported into iPhoto.
    What a mess!

The main cause of this silliness is the AIC codec used in iMovie, since it is great for editing but bad for streaming. Note that the recent versions of Adobe Premiere Elements (an iMovie competitor) can edit AVCHD files directly without transcoding to/from an intermediate codec. This makes doing video editing/exporting to ATV-streamable format far less time consuming. I hope Apple updates iMovie to do something similar. Waiting for home movies to export from iMovie to iTunes just so I can stream them to my Apple TV is excruciating.

3. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your great post and sorry for late reply. Just got back from a long trip.

I probably just copied them over but can't say for sure. Let me come back to you soon.

4. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the very late reply now but I had no access to my Mac for all these weeks. I just copied them over and cannot play them through my Apple TV.

Rather than exporting every single video (103 in total!) to itunes, would you know a good app that can batch convert all 103 files at once while keeping the metadata?

Thanks.

5. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Things have changed since I replied. Now there is iMovie 10, a free upgrade, which enables "exporting" of clips in addition to projects.

I don't know for sure, but you may be able to export multiple clips in the new iMovie by simply selecting them, clicking the "share" button, and selecting iTunes.

6. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exActly what I did and I was very pleased to see that iMovie made the whole process easier. Thanks and happy new year!