Cannot print to a shared printer on Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raghav2511, Apr 12, 2011.

1. raghav2511 macrumors member

(It is a long post, please spare some time as Ive tried be as specific and descriptive as possible to avoid any time wastage or confusions.)

Okay, Now I know there are a LOT of posts out their with the same Title. But I've tried a lot of suggestions and some of the posts are just unanswered.
    So here's my problem.
    I've purchased a new MBP (2011). OS X 10.6.7.

I have a set up of 6 PCs in my work place. One of them acts as a server (Running Win XP) and the rest are connected to it via a Netgear Switch through Ethernet. The printers:
    1. Canon LBP 2900
    2. Canon MF4350D
    Both of them are connected to the PC (Acting as the server) via USB and are locally installed and used over the whole network. Meaning all other PCs can print through the printers over the LAN.

When I connect my MBP to the network with Ethernet, I can:
    1. Share files back and forth.
    2. Also use the shared internet from PC.

Though I can't seem to print to any of the printers. I did not try much for the LBP 2900 as it isnt officially supported by Canon for Mac.

So here's what I tried so far:
    1. I downloaded Canon MF4350 Drivers from the web and installed them.
    2. I went to System Preferences>Print & Fax>"+"/Add>Windows>
    I selected the server, workgroup and the printer.
    I also selected the driver as (under Print using) - Canon MF4320-4350 UFRII LT (UK). I even tried the Generic Post Script & Generic PCL Laser.

When I try with the UFRII LT (UK) Driver I get an error (50).
    When I try with the Post Script nothing happens.
    When I try with the Generic PCL Laser, it does show that the page has been printed. But actually nothing seems to be physically printed.

What I noticed though was that as soon as I shoot a print command, my PC receives it and starts to download the document over the network but after downloading it, it deletes the document !

I also tried using Advanced & IP options but in vain. As i think they are mostly for printers connected directly to your Router/Switch.
    Any help guys ?
    I was really looking forward to using my MBP, but this has really brought me down.

2. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

3. raghav2511 thread starter macrumors member

I did try installing Bonjour on my PC Server, and I connected my LBP2900 to my MBP, but Bonjour on Win XP said that there are no Bonjour Printers, so I could not understand how it will work.

Basically you mean to say is that, I should connect the Printer and share them over my office network to other PCs ?

I haven't tried it with my MF4350, will do that today. Thanks for your help.

4. raghav2511 thread starter macrumors member

I cant do that, as the physical location of the printer is too far from my MBP and the Admin denies movement as it will affect the working of the staff.

Any suggestions ?

5. samh macrumors 6502

I believe that the suggestion is to install Bonjour on the XP "server" - then you can use Bonjour on your Macbook Pro client to connect. Bonjour is a service that runs on computers so that they can alert one another as to other available services (like printers). If you do this, you'll need to uninstall your existing attempts at getting the printer working on the Mac, and it shouldn't affect the Windows workstations.

If I understood the suggestion.

6. raghav2511 thread starter macrumors member

If I understood it right, if I have to use Bonjour, I'll have to connect the printer physically with my MBP and then share it over the network using Bonjour (On Windows) ? Am I right ?

The problem is that the printer and my MBP are too far away for me to physically connect them.

7. samh macrumors 6502

No, want you want is a solution to do the opposite. Use bonjour running on the Windows PC to share the computer, and connect to the Mac to the printer by Bonjour over the network.