Cannot print to wireless Epson apple say problem is I don't have airport.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nicolanicola, Jan 11, 2009.

1. nicolanicola macrumors member

So I have a wireless printer that my pc laptop can print to fine but I cannot get my mac to print to it.

I rung up epson and told them and they got me to print a nozzle check which came out fine. It's when I print from an application it doesn't print. Epson said this means that there is a problem with the print spool queue as the nozzle check bypasses this queue and worked fine but since everything I printed within application had to go via the print queue and wouldn't work, it must be this.

I therefore rang apple and after a lengthy (1 hour) conversation he said that it seemed that problem was that I was used a netgear router and mac don't work via any other router than an airport.

Just to let you know, this is my first mac - I got it on Thursday so I'm a bit unsure of it all - I'm still trying to figure out what CUPS is keep seeing it on all pages I keep googling!

Thanks in advance.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I don't know anything about wireless printing with or without Airport, but I use my Netgear wireless N router and NAS no problem, and before that I used a Netgear wireless G router with no problem. Did they get into specifics on why you needed Airport as opposed to any other kind of router?

3. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

I don't think the guy really knew - he was on hold with the technical department and seemed to be reading through some help files while he was waiting, he came back on the phone at one point with "good news and bad news" and the bad news being macs didn't support any network printers that didn't have a an airport connected, the good news being he would try and help me set up the printer as a server - that didn't work.

When I print to the printer i get the error message did not accept data file (32). I then tried adding the printer via the IP section and when I printed that way I got an error message about a broken pipe!

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was under the impression that unless you used an Airport you did need something along the lines of a print server. However, the CSR who told you that you could never print wirelessly with anything but an Airport should be canned. That is total BS. I used something like this from newegg and it worked fine with my Macs.

I would look into it more but Apple is totally incorrect and most likely felt the need to tell you that you must shell out $100 for their stupid product.

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Are you guys talking about an Epson printer connected to a wireless router, or a wireless printer?

6. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

So does the printer show up in System Prefs>Print and Fax or no? If not you probably have to add it somehow but I'm not sure how you would go about that as I've never owned a wireless printer.

7. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Both. A wireless router and a wireless printer.

8. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

It does yeh. My mac can see the printer, it can send things to it, it can ping it even but the print jobs d=just don't get delivered.

9. Slash1959 macrumors newbie

Slash1959

not sure if this will help you but i encountered the same issue when i downloaded the new firmware update. i then went to the Epson site and downloaded a new driver for my printer and it seemed to correct the issue. I did a complete re-install of the printer using the new driver

10. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I've tried this already.

My printer is an all in one printer/fax/scanner/copier - would that make a difference? Also it is bluetooth so I wonder if I can print via bluetooth?

11. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I agree with slash. This sounds like a driver issue. You don't need an Apple router. Try downloading the latest drivers from their website. The bad news is that they may not have drivers that will actually make it work.

12. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Still stuck any other ideas? I'm currently downloading gutenprint drivers cos someone said they should work with the epson I have. I have downloeaded epson driver but it hasn't made a bit of difference.

I've been onto localhost:631 trying to fix it as well, please help if you can.

At the moment I'm trying to run it through my laptop as smb but it hasn't worked so far.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

Which Epson model do you have? This information might yield better results for you, as people can search specifically for this model and its compatibility with OS X.

14. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

epson SX600FW.

Now I can get it via HP Jetdirect Socket to send something to the printer so that the printer says "printing" but nothign actually comes out. I've managed to work my way around the CUPS management system now so if you need a log or anything I can provide it.

Thanks in advance :)

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

16. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

I was using ver 6.51 but as it wasn't working I switched to a supported CUPS driver with guthenprint which now at least gets the printer to say printing even if it doesn't actually do it.

No I'll have a search for that EasyPrintModule. Not sure what it is.

17. skorpien macrumors 68020

18. lkraw macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem with this printer. On PC with Vista everything is fine.

On Mac printing doesn't work - I can scan, it can read Memory cards, but printing is impossible.

Do you have any solution for that??