Cannot print

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by St Osmosis, Feb 22, 2011.

1. St Osmosis macrumors newbie

I have never been able to print on this macbook. Can anyone suggest how I can get it to print when I am confronted with this...? Printers drivers can be loaded yet still nothing appears in this window...

[​IMG]

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Create another user and see if it also has the same issue. By doing that you will see I the issue is related to the user or to the system itself.

3. St Osmosis thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting suggestion. Tried it and no go. Print & Fax pane still blank under different user and will not print. Interesting that the printer always recognises data being sent to it by it's little lcd display but does nothing.

I'm preparing to reformat and reinstall system unless anyone has other ideas.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

First make a backup of the hard drive.

All other system Preferences are OK?

You can try reinstalling the OS. Unless there is something else or other good reason for the format.

Have you updated the software?

5. St Osmosis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replying McGiord.

Didn't realise you were online. This macbook has only ever been used by myself and has never been used for work, just web-based and mailing and music stuff. When I got it I was so over anything to do with Windows I immediately deleted or uninstalled all microsoft programs and I vaguely remember doing something with Bonjour, but it was all done in haste and, I confess, in ignorance. The printer and fax pane has always been completely blank and only now, 3 years later do I have the need to print. The need is so great I am prepared to reinstall the original software if necessary and that if means getting an external drive to back up music and photos etc then I will. I joined here though because I suspect there may be alternatives to such drastic action.

6. St Osmosis thread starter macrumors newbie

Read the link and tried right clicking on the blank portion... nothing happened. Made sure the control click function worked on various files and tried again. Mmm. Next..