Cannot purchase Coolbook; any alternatives? Help please...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mike-d, May 31, 2010.

1. mike-d macrumors newbie

I need to purchase Coolbook and the only way to do so is through PayPal, but I live in a country where PayPal isn't available, so I can't buy Coolbook.

SO my question is: are there any alternatives to Coolbook?

My laptop (Macbook Pro 2.53 T9400) runs around 56 degrees Celsius just when browsing the web. That's 134 Fahrenheit just for browsing the web!

I've looked all over the web, and I haven't found any alternative for this Mac app. I have Snow Leopard so the k'ed versions don't really work...

Please help :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Normal. You don't need to purchase Coolbook. Coolbook is for people who are deluding themselves into thinking that heat is a problem with their MBPs. From what I've seen, 99% of them have no real reason or justification.

3. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I forgot to mention, it idles at 56 Celsius when the fan is at 6000 RPM! And sometimes it reaches 60 degrees Celsius when iTunes and uTorrent are open alongside Safari.

So it might be normal because all the Macbooks are like that, but I don't consider it normal and neither does my crotch...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So? It's 56C because your fans are at full blast, meaning they're functioning as intended.

Still doesn't sound unreasonable.

Put a magazine between your lap and the notebook.

5. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

Hah Hah :rolleyes: Did you notice how you haven't even come close to answering my question yet? I've thought about this and that's why I opened this thread. So please either answer the question, or leave :)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd reset your SMC and take another look at All Processes in Activity Monitor.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's because I've deemed your question not worth answering due to your misconceptions about notebook heat. An alternative to Coolbook is "learning what's actually going on."

8. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that's a better answer.

BTW I've already reset the SMC and I've checked my processes. Nothing special or too demanding.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you sure you're checking All Processes?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have any fan control software installed?

11. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, after I reset the SMC several times and the temperature stayed the same, I installed SMCfancontrol which is how I keep the fans running at 6000 RPM when browsing the web, so I can maintain a temperature of 56-60 Celsius :eek:

12. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

If you put on SMCfancontrol to 6000rpm, you have no reason to complain that your fans are rotating at 6000rpm. Just put SMCfancontrol off and see what that gots.

But don't worry. While saying that even now on my macbook the temperature is just 45C when browsing the web, setting the rpm to 2700 with SMC fancontrol; you don't have to worry.

If your temperature is above 100C, then you have to worry. - And only a bit.

When that happens - if that happens - your mac automatically shuts down until it'll become a little cooler. When you put on your mac again, your mac is cool and all again, so no need to worry. :)

13. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't complaining that the fans are 6000 RPM (smacks face). I was complaining that the temperature lingers around 56-60 degrees Celcius when browsing the web, and when the fans are at 6000 RPM.
    So actually, I was complaining about the high temperature that wouldn't go away even if I increased fan speed.

And I have tried putting the fan at 2000-3000 RPM; the temperature rises to 70 degrees Celsius.
    Well I know that the limit for the temperature is 100 degrees Celsius, but that doesn't mean that I have to reach it...

14. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

How about you quit screwing with the fan speeds of your mac? Perhaps just use the computer as normal? In reference to your question, that's a very good alternative to buying software to under clock your machine. Your machine has internal limits to keep it safe - running your fans kills your battery life and does nothing except pacify your OCD tendencies.

15. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

OCD tendencies?? It's too hot for my legs! How the hell am I supposed to comfortably read an article with the LAPtop on my lap?

I completely understand that the laptop has a safety mechanism to keep it from burning out, but 1) the CPU lasts less if it is always hot 2) 100 degrees Celsius is water's boiling point! I don't want to have that on my lap if I ever wanted to watch YouTube and do a couple of other things!

You know what, forget it. You people always think you're smarter than other forumers. I have deliberated to a great extent before opening this thread. Why do you insist on forcing your opinions on other while I ask for facts? (ie an alternative SOFTWARE to Coolbook)

16. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Perhaps try buying a laptop fan, while you talk to Apple about what's going on? The Belkin Laptop Lounge is pretty good. The heat from my laptop was kinda irritating as well until I got it. Cools it down pretty well. You've probably done this, but I'd also encourage updating all your software and then running Onyx afterward. Also get gfxCard and make the integrated Intel card default unless you need the discrete card. (I'm assuming you have a Macbook Pro.)

17. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the tips. I have already run Onyx several times in order to keep the Mac running smooth, but I never knew it affected temperature. Anyway the Apple dealership in my country's messed up, so it would take a lot of time and convincing to get them to fix the laptop for free. My friend had such an experience. Anyways I SOMEHOW got the k'ed version of Coolbook to apply the settings and I have updated Coolbook to version 2.16. I now run 1.5GHz at 0.9V and 2.4GHz at 0.9375V without any hiccups during normal usage. The temps have dropped drastically. Now I can keep the fans on 2000RPM and have a temp. of 45-46 Celcius while doing this and chatting and having iTunes open. It used to be 50-52 degrees with the fans on 6000RPM! :eek:

18. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Glad to hear your laptop's now working as you want it to! You might want to push Apple to take a look at it anyway, just in case...

19. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh not anymore. 2.16 k'ed wasn't working reliably so I updated it to 2.17 normal version and now I don't know how to get it to work! :(

20. Restinbeast macrumors member

You really don't want to put the laptop directly on your lap anyway imo. It is ok to do occasionally but I do not think it is a great idea every time you are on the couch surfing. I separate mine from my lap using a variety of cooling pads, some with USB fans, some without and this seems easier than messing with the settings on your machine unless you have serious reason to believe something is wrong.

Incidentally, what is with all the extremely rude, stodgy old posters on this forum? This is probably the 5th thread I've read when the immediate reaction was to be rude to OP instead of trying to help.

Being first to reply to threads as you pathetically troll the forum all day passive/aggressively picking fights does not make you "cool."

21. javks macrumors newbie

ffs, i hate fanboys that instead of trying to help just go about how this machines are perfect, and that steve jobs has tested every single one of them, get a fckn life, or go apply for a marketing job in apple, if you have nothing useful to say than ****! go fck your cat in the *****

yes, we all love macs and they are great, people are just trying to make them greater, so go shove your head up your a** a little more and ****!

22. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest taking tha laptop back to Apple. Any time you may lose in getting it fixed will be recovered from the time you spend worrying about your machine. If you absolutely cannot, then a powerful cooling fan, like the Belkin Laptop Lounge, could help.

23. janderson macrumors newbie

Seriously?

I came across this thread while looking for a solution to a similar problem: I want to manually control the CPU frequency in my MBP. I couldn't just keep on searching for a solution; The replies in this thread are for the most part shameful. (Telling the OP his request is invalid and belittling him is absolutely not a useful way to answer a question.)

Modern MacBook hardware allows the CPU's clockspeed and voltage to be adjusted on the fly. I do this when my MacBook is booted into FreeBSD via sysctl - I can adjust the min and max to speeds supported by the CPU. MacOS has similar sysctls, but they are read-only:

Code:
    root# sysctl hw.cpufrequency hw.cpufrequency_min hw.cpufrequency_max
    hw.cpufrequency: 2200000000
    hw.cpufrequency_min: 2200000000
    hw.cpufrequency_max: 2200000000

root# sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=100000000
    sysctl: oid 'hw.cpufrequency_min' is read only

(Damn.)

There are numerous reasons why someone would want to do this legitimately. I for example tend to spend my time in the terminal, which requires a fraction of the CPU's horsepower. When using FreeBSD, I set the min to the absolute minimum supported by the CPU (100 MHz), and the max to around 1500 MHz. The result is drastically increased battery life in FreeBSD, among other benefits.

I can even put my MacBook *comfortably* on my lap, without a cooling pad, a magazine, additional fans, or any of the other workarounds suggested here.

I wish I could do this in MacOS - it would make a great computer just a little better. If anyone has found a way to do this, I'd really be happy to hear it.

(CoolBook is also not of interest to me - I have no desire to undervolt, or otherwise use my CPU out of spec.)

Avoid using portables on your lap....

A very wise scientist I know said that one should always use a wired external keyboard and mouse with a portable computer.

Reason being that the EMF field on all computers is harmful to health. He said to avoid all wireless devices, and minimize cell phone use and to always use the speaker on a cell phone.

Since taking his advice, I've noticed more mental clarity and less tiredness.