cannot ransfer over my apps with migration assistant from time machine backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, May 2, 2016.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I tried and I just got two images with yellow question marks, saying the the time machine backup is of a newer os.

The backup has osx el capitan, and the mac I am transferring to has mavericks, and I want to transfer my apps from the time machine backup.

are there any alternative ways to do this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As the error message implies, Migration Assistant does not work going from a newer to an older OS X version.

Once you have Mavericks installed and running you may be able to open the TM backup in Finder and manually drag over some of the applications as long as they are not apps that were installed with packaged installers.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

how,can I tell an installer package vs other installers?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can tell by the way you originally installed the app. If it was just a DMG file you opened and dragged the app over to Applications, then there was no installer.

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also tried a time machine restore, when I entered timemachine galaxy view, but I could not browse the different backups, and the restore button was greyed out for all content.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try just opening the Time Machine backup in Finder and browse for what you want that way.