Cannot re-install Mac OS X

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ASilk, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ASilk macrumors newbie

I am trying to reset my mac to factory settings.

There was an error on the HD so I used disk utility to repair the HD but this did not work so erased it.

I don't have to original disks so tried to use Recovery HD but this did not work. When using Command-R nothing happened and a black screen appeared saying there was no disk to boot from!

I then downloaded the Recovery Assistant from Apple and set up my HD as a recovery disk. I used the option button on start up and entered recovery mode this way. I have tried to re-install Mac OSX using the recovery disk but whenever I try it says 'Mac OSX needs at least 2GB of memory'.

I don't understand why this is considering the hard rive has been erased and there is no data on it!

I have looked at the partitions and there are none on there other that the Macintosh HD one.

Can someone please help?

I also have no back ups of the computer (stupidly)!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. ASilk thread starter macrumors newbie

Meaning???

Is there nothing I can do to sort it out?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. ASilk thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a macbook.

It is an iMac 21 inch... 2007 :)

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That message is not about your hard drive, but your memory (RAM)
    How much is installed in your iMac?
    If you are trying to reinstall 10.7 or higher, then OS X needs at least 2GB of _memory_. Hard drive space would use "needs more than (so much space) available", or free, or something similar to that.
    If you are sure that you have 2GB or more, try reseating the RAM sticks.

7. ASilk thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly - I am not sure how much RAM I have got on the computer - How would I check?

Also, how would I reset the RAM sticks?

I can't access any features of the actual system as it doesn't have a OS to boot from as the HD is empty? I can only get into recovery mode?

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The hard disk has crashed and needs to be replaced. Any 3.5" SATA drive will work in a 2007 iMac. Take it to your local AASP to have the work done. If you have been backing up this will be a minor inconvenience. If you haven't then you will be learning a lesson on why backing up is absolutely critical.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can easily get to the memory sticks.
    There's a small access panel under the bottom edge of the computer.
    Loosen one screw, and the panel comes loose.
    Pull the little plastic tabs, and the memory chips will slide out.
    I always swap the memory between the slots, then push each chip firmly into each slot. You should feel it "snap" into place. If it doesn't feel "right", eject and try again - takes quite a firm push…Reposition the little panel, and snug down the screw.

(btw - the RAM sticks will have labels, showing you how much memory you have.)

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

After 7 years of use, it's quite possible that the internal drive may have failed. I have a 2007 24" iMac myself, and have noticed the HDD growing a bit "noisier" over the past couple of years, but it still checks out ok.

Your main problem is the internal drive quit on you, and you have no backup.
    If you HAD a backup -- such as a "clone" of the internal drive created with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper -- you would have been back up and running in 3 minutes.

But now, with the internal drive non-functional and no backup, you're "up the creek".

I'm going to -guess- that the Recovery Assistant you downloaded is trying to download a newer version of the OS than the one you were using, and that you don't have enough installed RAM to install it.

I checked everymac.com, and the 2007 iMacs look like they came "stock" with 1gb of RAM installed. Did you ever upgrade your RAM?

Is your "2007" iMac a "white" one (plastic case) or an "aluminum" one?

Either way, if you've never upgraded the RAM, you can do so for about $25 (buy a 2gb RAM board, and replace one of the existing boards, which will give you 3mb installed). But you need to know WHICH iMac you have (white or aluminum).

RAM installation is easy -- just remove a plate with 2 screws on the bottom of the screen, remove 1 of the existing DIMMs, and replace with the new one.

If you do this, you should have enough RAM so that the Recovery Assistant can download and install the new copy of the OS.
    Again, this assumes the internal drive is still good.

Hmm... if you've read this far, try this right now (if it can be done, I've never used Recovery Assistant so I'm just guessing):
    1. Boot up the iMac to the Recovery Assistant.
    2. Look around (try the menu bar). Do you have the option to run Disk Utility?
    3. If so, launch it.
    4. From DU's window, choose the "verify" option, and let it run.
    5. What does it say about the internal drive?