Cannot read or mount network NTFS drives. 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by squeezy, Nov 8, 2010.

1. squeezy macrumors member

I am running Snow Leopard. I have a few drives on my PC that I have shared, three are NTFS and one is FAT32. I can read and write to the FAT32 on just fine, everything works as it should with it. I can view the NTFS shared drives, though when I try to access them I get this error

The operation can't be completed because the original item for "Drive Name" can't be found.

I can read NTFS USB drives fine, and with NTFS Mounter running I can write to them all the same. However this is not the case whatsoever with networked NTFS drives. I am sharing them from a Windows 7 x64 PC, my Mac is a 1st gen Intel Core Duo 1.66.

Can anyone suggest what I am sure is an easy solution? Thank you in advance!

2. miknos Suspended

miknos

3. squeezy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the link, but that software is designed for internal or external NTFS drives, not network drives.

4. muitommy macrumors newbie

No, the paragon ntfs supports network drives, depends on what network drives you are referring to, i'm using iscsi.

5. ibennetch macrumors member

First of all, it sounds like you're trying to use an Alias on your Mac to open a share that it can't find. Instead go to the "Go" menu and pick "Connect to server..." then either enter the machine name/IP address or hit the Browse button to try to locate the shares. Maybe the IP address changed and your Alias is looking at the old one, maybe the share name changed, could be a glitch in the Matrix, but recreating the connection from scratch should work.

Also, failing that, accessing a Windows share from your Mac shouldn't be affected by the file system, so if it's not the wrong Alias then I'd start to look at the PC. If you have a third machine try accessing the shares from there, if not then on the PC browse to \\127.0.0.1 and see if it works properly. Check the Windows logs to see if there are hints.

And muitommy, I wouldn't call a raw iSCSI device a network share as such; certainly I think he's talking about CIFS.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Don't listen to either of these as 10.6 does read NTFS local volumes out of the box, and should read/write to any network share you can access.

You're probably having some kind of permission problem with the network drive, as NTFS is more robust in that regard than FAT32. ibennetch's suggestions are good ones.