Cannot receive software updates on my Mac book

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by new-chivalry, Jan 24, 2009.

1. new-chivalry macrumors newbie

Recently, everytime I attempt to open the software updates under the Apple menu, it begins to load, then shuts off with the warning that it failed to launch. What can I do to fix this?

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Try repairing permissions. Finder--->Go--->Utilities--->Disk Utility. Or press shift+command+U from the finder to get to the utilites folder. If that doesn't fix it try resetting the P-Ram.

Restart the computer and hold Option,command,P,R and let it chime two-three times.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

This happen on wireless or cable? I have it a few times do this when i have been on wireless - very strange

4. new-chivalry thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see anything about permissions on the disk utility aside from a drop down option under File to "Fix Mac OS 9 Permissions," which is grayed out and unresponsive.

Also I have no idea what permissions or P-Ram is.

5. new-chivalry thread starter macrumors newbie

I am indeed on a wireless network.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To repair disk permissions you need to select the drive or volume you want to run the operation upon. In this case, simply select Macintosh HD from the left side, and make sure the tab is set to First Aid. You should have the 3 available options for verify disk permissions, repair disk permissions, and verify disk. The last one for repair disk is not available unless you are booted up to the software disc or to an external drive. Instructions for resetting PRAM can be found @ http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379. Resetting the PRAM isn't a really viable solution for this problem, more than likely it's something software related that only Disk Utility or reinstalling the OS or applying an update will fix. If you are not running 10.4.11 or 10.5.6, or rather you know what updates you are missing, download the update directly from www.apple.com/support/downloads instead of waiting for the automated software update to be fixed.

7. new-chivalry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much man!

8. new-chivalry thread starter macrumors newbie

Although now it says the downloaded file from the site couldn't mount the image. Plus I don't know how long its been since I've updated, and there's 733 updates, I don't know where to start.

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The first priority is to get the Mac OS X combo update. After installing that, your automated software update problem may be fixed and you won't have to pick through all 733 to find the 5-10 you may need. Most of those 700+ updates may not even be for your operating system so don't go willy nilly downloading each dmg file. If none of the steps listed work you'll have to consider an archive and install which replaces the core system files with ones from the software restore discs and you have the option to set it to preserve users & network settings so you won't need to re-setup the whole computer after its done and all your documents and stuff should still be there.

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Archive and Install. Something is really messed up.

12. JediMeister macrumors 68040

He's talking about the 733 downloads listed @ Apple Support downloads, not pulled up from his automated software update.