Cannot Recognize Drive / Deleted Partition Mapping?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PaThKu, Nov 8, 2007.

1. PaThKu macrumors member

So, I was moving partitions in VolumeWorks and accidentally ejected the Lacie Disk. Now whenever I try to use it i get this:

[​IMG]

I clicked initialize once, but I closed DiskUtility and it never had time to do anything. I know this because I can still use DataRescue to get my files. The problem is, the files will not be named or organized correctly! On diskutility, it will NOT let me mount the the drive (although it still shows the icon on disk util) so I cannot repair it. Please help!

Edit:
    Shoot, apparently initializing it removes the partition map :O. How can I get the partition structure back in place?

2. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Recover what files you can from the volume, repartition (format) the drive.

3. PaThKu thread starter macrumors member

Any way to rebuild the directory? DiskWarrios, TechTool Pro? ANy Leopard compatable Disk Utilities?

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I would say that disk warrior is probably your best bet, it should be able to rebuild the directory without any problems and if not, then it will be able to recover most of you files and then rebuild everything.

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Give TestDisk a shot. I lost a software Raid-1 a while ago when the firewire hub it was attached to decided to die and took the drives with it... The Raid-1 part of course did what it was supposed to do, both disks lost their partitions identically! :p

Anyway, neither DiskWarrior nor other programs I tried could find anything on the disks until I found TestDisk, which within seconds provided me with the parameters required to manually restore the partitions.

Happy ending, all data was recovered.