Cannot recover an archived mailbox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machelp4me, Mar 20, 2011.

1. machelp4me macrumors newbie

I archived two mailboxes and now can't recover them. Importing while in the Mail program gets me a phantom "Import" mailbox which contains the mbox file I wish to recover but when I click on it nothing happens. Please help.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Duplicate the file first before attempting

I don't know about making mail import the .mbox file but there is an easy way to read the mail contained. All you have to do is delete the .mbox extension so that the file becomes a folder and then open the mbox file inside with something like text wrangler.

This will let you read all the mail in the mbox as a single text file.

Cheers

3. machelp4me thread starter macrumors newbie

Delete the extension in Finder? And what is text wrangler? Is that different from text edit? I'm not sure this would work. The mailbox had several years worth of email exchanges. The thing that bothers me is that when I try to open the mbox file in Finder, there's nothing there. Not even unreadable gibberish. There's nothing. 0 items.

4. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Ok.
    1.) Duplicate the file
    2.) Get Info on the file
    3.) Where it shows the name delete the file extension .mbox will change to a standard folder
    4.) Open the folder
    5.) Open the file name mbox inside in text edit or text wrangler which is like text edit but will handle more files.

Cheers