Cannot reinstall tiger os from disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fergusj2, May 29, 2008.

1. fergusj2 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have deleated a user name which I now realise had administrator name and password settings along with this I also deleating a bunch of other files now most applications crash 10 seconds after start, after trying and failing to recover from an encripted folder I have decided to do a clean reinstall on my laptop. I can logon as a standard user but when I try and reinstall the disks I cannot get passed admin name and password. I have the disks when I bought my iBook G4, please can anyone help, if anyone can tell how to I reinstall from prior to login, I have tried the combinations of opening in safe and verbose login also holding down the C, (this only brings an option to go into my Macintosh HD). I would welcome any ideas. Thanks if you can help.
    fergusj2

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

So when you are booting you are holding down the "C" key and not booting off of the install CD?

You can try holding down the "option" key while booting with the Install Disc inserted. It will then give you bootable drives to choose from, select the install disc and boot off of it. (It can take several minutes to list all the discs and allow you to boot, be patient)

When the installer loads choose your language then at the next window go to the "tools" menu a select "disk utility". In disc utility select your hard drive "Macintosh HD" and erase it using "Mac OS Extended Journaled". Once completed quit "Disk Utility" and continue going through the installer windows. You can select the "Customize" button to select optional software to install. This way you can select languages or just leave your language as the others take space same with the printer drivers as you do not need all of those drivers if you do not have the printers. Plus you can always download the drivers you need off of the manufacturers web sites.

edit: The above procedure will delete all information from you computer.

If there are files you are trying to recover you will need to either connect your Mac to another via Target Disc Mode with a Firewire cable, hold "T" right when you boot it will make you Mac just act like an overpriced external hard drive. If you do not have another Mac you will need to get an external firewire hard drive and install Mac OS X onto that hard drive. Then you would need to boot off of that external hard drive and drag all of the files you are trying to save from it.

Once the files are copied then you can format your Macs internal hard drive and install Mac OS X.

3. fergusj2 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for the information, still cant delete drive

Hello, Iam sorry for not responding sooner, I have tried this and I am unable to find the method to erase my old drive. My keyboard is a Japanese build and some of the function keys such as holding on reboot dont work the same, does anyone in MacForum know how to force my pc to activate the re-install disks that came with the mac.

Thanks for reading this. John:

eek::apple::eek:

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This appears to be the page as translated from Babelfish.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1544?viewlocale=ja_JP