cannot reinstall win xp on iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ungar, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ungar macrumors member

I have been running win xp on my iMac, and I wanted to increase the size of my bootcamp partition and also reformat my Macintosh HD. I first erased my bootcamp partition, then erased and reinstalled Snow Leopard, then went into bootcamp assistant and re-partitioned my hard drive. All that went fine, but when I try to re-install windows, I insert the windows installation disc, click "Install", my Mac logs off, reboots, and I just get a white screen. I've tried several time. Any ideas? Thanks

2. iWind130290 macrumors member

You don't need to use Bootcamp.app in Mac OS to install Windows OS. Just use Disk Utility to create a partition for Windows OS with MS-DOS(FAT) formatted.
    After that, insert your Windows CD and restart your computer. At start up screen, hold down the "C" key. Your iMac will boot into the Windows CD and now you can install your Windows OS. During the installation, there're some restarting phases. But it'll not boot back to the installation automatically like when you do with Bootcamp.app.So you'll have to hold down the Alt/Option key after restarting and choose the Windows OS (not the CD) to continue the installation.
    Hopes this information will be helpful for you..
    Dear.